Chapter 2

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness jumped. Who is this? Why's she blue? She could see frustration rolling off the strange dragon's dark scales. Her face lit up as she saw Brightness's open eyes. 

"Oh! You're awake. Visioner'll be happy." Visioner. She'd always liked her brother's name. It tasted like the occasional apple Starspeckle had managed to smuggle in, unnoticed by Destroyer. Brightness always debated over whether it should taste more the oranges. She loved oranges, and it made sense for Visioner to taste like oranges, because she loved him. 

Brightness blinked up at the dark blue dragon, mesmerized by the way her words swirled around her snout. She reached up self-consciously, trying to see what it felt like. The blue dragon stepped back, avoiding her talons. Brightness couldn't feel her words, as they always disappeared a moment- sometimes longer- after they'd been spoken, but she could feel surprise as the blue dragon stared at her. 

"Sunny! She's awake! But she must've hit her head or something." Brightness sat up, flexing her wings. They felt slightly sore, and she could see red spots that were smothered by a strange, blue-cold poultice. She poked at it, and immediately drew back as an alarming flash of pain jolted through her veins. 

Pain. She didn't like the way this word tasted. Like the rotting carcass of a squirrel that Destroyer had once brought for her and Visioner to share. 

"Hey, hey. Slow down. You can't touch your injuries right now," The blue dragon scolded. "It's bad for you and the healers. What's your name again?"

Brightness blinked up at her, opening her mouth. Like always, nothing came out. Sound.

A golden dragon with green eyes (Sunny?) hurried towards her. "Oh, wonderful. Hi! I'm Sunny. That's Tsunami; she's the Head of School. What's your name?"

Brightness just stared at her, not even trying to talk.

That was when talonsteps grew louder, and a familiar pure black dragon burst into the cave. 

Finally. Someone she knew.

Visioner.