Chapter 8

VISIONER

If Brightness was nervous, Visioner couldn't tell. She was her normal self, though she glanced over her shoulder occasionally as if she was running from something. 

But then again, Brightness wasn't exactly defined as 'normal'. 

Visioner felt as if he was more nervous than his sister. Brightness never really showed what she felt, though she always seemed to know what he was thinking. He hoped her winglet would accept her.

He wondered what Brightness was feeling right now.

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness felt as if the entire world was crashing upon her. For the second time in her entire life, she felt something more than curiosity. The first time had been when Destroyer had beaten her unconscious for three days straight. Pain. 

Now was the second time. She was nervous.

Would anyone like her? Would anyone be like Visioner, and accept her to be like any other dragon?

Brightness took in a deep breath, and entered the cave she would share with her clawmates. 

The cave was large and spacious, and it was filled with warmth and light, unlike the dark cave she had been caged in for her entire life. There was a scroll rack besides a vine-woven hammock, and another besides a rock bed that was covered in feathery leaves. Brightness unrolled a scroll, and was intrigued to find that it was about a dragon called Whiteout, who was the little sister of the evil Darkstalker, who tried and failed to conquer the world twice. 

Brightness was amazed to find out that Whiteout could feel the world like her, except she could talk. 

"Are you my new clawmate?" She ripped her gaze away from the scroll, and saw a yellow-and-blue RainWing with strange pale eyes. Shyness and curiosity hummed quietly from her scales, and her words had a soothing purple tinge to them. 

"I'm Tamarin," The other dragonet said. "And I'm blind, in case you were wondering. What's your name?"

Blind. What a strange word. It tasted like chalk, but a mute, dark feeling echoed chillingly, making Brightness shiver. For a second, she saw a flash of darkness, and voices and sounds emerging from the dark. 

Was this what it was like for Tamarin? 

Maybe Brightness would fit in better than she'd thought.