Chapter 16: Contact

Sam's POV

    "You're sure it's fine to be calling you?" worried Sam over the phone as he idly paced around. "The signal can't be, like, tracked or something?"

    He heard Marjorie sigh. "I'm sure. I've got my phone encrypted from here to the Neverzone."

    He was positive asking Marjorie what she was referencing would be pointless; she would just call him an idiot. And Sam didn't want to waste the phone call.

    He had been worried about Bucky and Marjorie—there had been no communication between them and the rest of the Avengers since the rescue from the Raft. It was November 5th, which meant it had been 10 days of not knowing whether they were alive, if Lehnsherr had strangled Bucky with his own arm, or if Marjorie had recovered from whatever the scientists at the Raft had done to her.

    Sam and the others had ditched their phones—it felt like losing a hand to Sam—and Nat produced new burners for everyone with a warning about only using them for emergency purposes. It didn't worry him that Marjorie was able to call him; between her and Bucky, they had insane skills in finding people who didn't want to be found.

    But he was curious... "Where did you get this number, anyway?"

    "Umm–" she sounded distracted. "–Bucky had Clint's new number and got the rest from him."

    Why hadn't the whole team been informed of the couple's status? He and Clint were definitely having words later.

    "Hold on Sam, I have to..." she said distantly. "What have I said about fire near my books?" snapped Marjorie. Was someone lighting things on fire on her end of the phone call? "I don't care how far you are from the books, no fire in my room!"

    Sam waited, baffled.

    "Sorry about that," she continued pleasantly. "So, how are things with you?"

    "Uh, fine. What's on fire?"

    "Oh, just Rei."

    Sam stopped his pacing. "A person is on fire?" he screeched. "Are they okay?"

    "Yeah, Rei's a pyrokinetic."

    "Oh." Right, the teen with colorful hair that came to see Marjorie after the whole neutralizer incident—Rei—had fire-powers. The aimless pacing resumed. "What's new with you? Are you and Bucky still together and disgustingly affectionate?"

    Marjorie laughed. "Yeah, we're good. Getting used to the new schedule."

    "You don't have to go to classes, do you?" Sam asked with an edge of horror.

    "Nah, I graduated years ago. Thank God."

    "You sound relieved," he noted.

    "No homework or exams," she sang.

    "What do you do all day, then?" He hadn't heard much about Marjorie's mutant version of Hogwarts—Sam didn't even know the name of it—but he knew it was a school, with mostly normal classes. He really hoped the answer wasn't Bucky—he did not want to know that.

    "Lots of stuff. Drawing, reading, a few days ago I made friendship bracelets, etc."

    "Friendship bracelets?" he responded with enthusiasm. "For the concert?"

    "Yes! I'm glad someone gets it."

    Sam ignored the last comment; he was pretty sure it was directed to someone on her end. "That's awesome! How many did you make?"