prologue

"Don't teach them that it's okay!"

"They can't control it!"

Felicity Moon lets out another pained groan, shoving her pillow over her head and trying to drown out her parents screaming from downstairs.

This was their third fight today and it was only, she checks the clock— 1:43 in the afternoon. Normally her father was at work by now and she could pretend her family was fine.

But of course, the company had to give their employees a day off to "spend time with their family"— something Felicity wished he did less.

The pillow isn't enough to block the next scream of her mother, or the door opening to her room— all noises that make her headache worse.

"Lils?" She questions, even though she already knows it's her sister.

"How do they even still have voices? They've been yelling for the last month."

"Must be magic."

Lily snorts, "don't tell dad."

The two girls laugh— it's absurd to laugh about something that's tearing your parents marriage apart— but they found it was better to laugh about Miles Moon's extreme hatred for magic then to think too hard about the fact that he never hugs them back anymore and hasn't asked anything about their schooling.

"Do you want to go get ice cream?"

Lily's eyes light up, whether it's at the idea of a sweet treat or just the prospect of getting out of the war zone, and she runs to her room, murmuring a quick "let me change."

Felicity smiles to herself while braiding her hair. She just had to keep her sister distracted for a few more weeks and then they'd be back on the hogwarts express and around people that liked them.

There's a knocking at her window right as she downs a pill, hoping to keep her fever in check and pain at a minimum while the two girls are out. She recognizes the owl at her window immediately.

He was always a little chunkier than the others in the owlery, his round shape and brown feathers giving her quidditch obsessed boyfriend the perfect name.

"Hey Bludger!" She scratched his head before taking the letter from his leg.

The owl immediately takes off, and Felicity stares at it in confusion. Bludger always stays to get pet while she reads Oliver's letters. She's not sure why he took off so fast this time, and it bothers her more than it should.

She ignores the funny feeling it gave her while unfolding the letter. Oliver's summer quidditch camp had just ended this week, meaning he'd either written it right before he left or right when he got home.

The thought makes her feel all bubbly inside, that she was the first thing he thought of when he left. She remembered him telling her there were going to be professional coaches at the camp— maybe he'd gotten an offer and had rushed to tell her.

"Another love letter?" Lily asks as she rejoins her older sister.

"Maybeee," she grins, "just let me read this and then we can go."

Lily nods, making herself comfortable next to Felicity on her bed.

'Dear Felicity,'

She inhaled sharply, immediately dreading the rest of the letter. Oliver always starts his letter with 'dearest Lissy".

Dear Felicity,
I had so much fun at camp this week, the Harpies coach told me he could really see me start leading this year. My counselor said that I've improved a lot since last year, and a few coaches talked to me about joining them after this school year. This is really good news, but it also means that I need to prove that I'm dedicated and really focus on quidditch this year. It's my last chance to win the quidditch cup and prove myself. Relationships are never guaranteed to last and I need to make sure my future is secure without you. I'm sorry.
From, Oliver

Felicity doesn't even make it to the last sentence before bursting into tears. Her eyes skip to the end of the short letter, seeing the usual 'love, your ollie' replaced with the dry conclusion. It makes her want to scream, the fact that he'd already decided they were done— decided that he wasn't hers anymore. Decided that the last two years weren't worth it when compared to his quidditch career.

Lily snatches the letter from her sisters hand, skimming over it before slamming it down.

"That absolute idiot!" She yells.

"Two years!" Felicity's words barely sound like words through her sobs, and Lily hugs her tight. "Two years, for that?"

"I know Liss, I'm so sorry."

"OVER AN OWL!" She does scream this time, voice raw and unreadable, a mixture between anger and heartbreak.

The sisters were too distracted to notice that the Moon household was finally quiet, the only noises coming from the oldest daughter.

Soon her door is swinging open and both Moon parents are standing in the threshold of Felicity's room.

"Honey?" Her mothers sweet voice cuts in, "what happened?"

Felicity's only response in unintelligible sobs, and Lily hands her mother the letter.

Miles Moon reads it over his wife's shoulder, and both adults look in confusion at their daughters.

"Normal people words? What the fuck is quidditch and who is Harper?"

"Dad! Her boyfriend of two years just dumped her over a letter and you're focused on quidditch?"

"Well I didn't know what it meant! I didn't realize people even sent letters anymore."

"Miles, I told you this. Maybe you'd know better if you ever talked to your children."

"What do you want from me Cecilia? Want me to go get a stick from the backyard and try to send them a letter? It's not like the loony bin has a mailing address!"

The two start into it again, which only makes Felicity cry harder.

"Miles you're making them feel bad."

"I wasn't trying to! You sound just as crazy as they do!"

"Love is fake! I'll never love again. I was supposed to be his future!!"

Lily's the one screaming this time.