- two

The day Felicity had been dreading all summer had finally arrived.

While the prospect of leaving her parents and spending the next nine months surrounded by the magic of Hogwarts normally thrilled her, Felicity was convinced that this year was going to be the hardest year of her life considering her plan to never ever see Oliver Wood despite living at the same school as him.

"Bye sweeties, have fun and send me letters! Lissy don't you dare cry anymore over that boy! Lily try to stay out of the hospital. See you later!"

The sisters had said their goodbye to their parents in the parking lot of the station, having taken their belongings and gone in to board by themselves due to their fathers discomfort with magic.

"Hey we're early!" Lily cheers, pushing her things onto the train. "I'm gonna go save a compartment! See you when we get there!"

"Have fun Lils, don't forget to buy extra pumpkin pasties from the trolly so you don't cry about it later."

The younger redhead salutes before running off in the opposite direction.

Felicity heads to the compartment her friends always share, not surprised in the slightest when Veda is already there.

The girl had been Felicity's roommate her first year, and it was clear as day why Veda had been placed in the house of blue and bronze. She was practically a genius, on top of all her class work and fifteen minutes early to every activity— a gift that Felicity severely lacked.

"Felicity is that you?" Veda grins, looking down at her wrist as if to check an imaginary watch, "and the train is still parked at the station! Am I finally rubbing off on you?"

Felicity laughs at her friend's teasing, dropping her bag down on the long seat in the compartment.

"You wish. No amount of good influence will fix my tardiness."

"Good influence my ass," the third member of their trio enters the conversation, Penelope Clearwater's voice ringing out in the small space. "Veda you didn't sleep for a week straight last year studying for OWLS."

"At least I studied for them," Veda coughed "unlike some people."

Felicity interrupted the girls banter, "so what I'm hearing is I'm the good influence in this friendship."

Both girls break out into hysterical laughter at that, and Felicity is left to pout as they all take their seats.

"I didn't think it was that funny."

The girls settle in as the train starts moving, taking books out of their carry-ons and sharing the snacks they'd packed for the ride.

"So what'd I miss this summer?" Penelope asks.

She'd been on a family vacation in the Caribbean Islands all summer and had forbade anyone from sending her letters because she thought it was too long of a travel for their owls.

"Nothing much, my parents signed me up for a muggle tutor so I spent the summer learning the magic of calculus instead of doing any actual magic learning."

"That sounds horrendous. I'm glad I missed that."

"Yeah you should be," Felicity mumbled, "she kept sending me her worksheets."

This got a laugh out of their blonde friend, but Veda just rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry that I was trying to broaden your horizons. My mail probably got in the way of your sappy love letters from Ollie Bear huh?"

The two girls laugh, but quickly stop when they realize Felicity has gone quiet.

"Liss? Are you okay? You know we don't mean it, you guys are cute!"

Felicity grimaces. "Yeah I know you guys don't mean it. It's just-" her words catch in her throat and she feels the familiar burning sensation behind her eyes. "Ol- Oliver dumped me."

She says the words so fast they run together and her friends need a moment to separate them, but once they do it's immediate chaos.

"HE WHAT?"

"Oh my gosh are you okay? Why didn't you tell me?"

Felicity's tears start falling again and she's glad the trolley lady comes by at that moment to save her from talking.

"Oh yeah, we need everything you've got!" Penny says, the girls quickly stocking up on more sweets. They were going to need it for this conversation.

Felicity takes a rather aggressive bite of a chocolate frog, groaning and wiping at her eyes.

"I'm so sick of crying! I've been crying all summer!"

"Then stop crying." Veda suggests.

"Wow you're a genius V, I'm sure she hadn't thought of that yet."

"I'm just saying! There's no point in wasting your tears on someone who doesn't want you! If you're not gonna cry in front of him to make him feel bad then you shouldn't cry at all!"

"She does have a point- have you tried to guilting him yet? Cry in front of him and send him letters begging him to come back."

Felicity shuddered at the thought. "Absolutely not. I don't care how much I miss him, that is not going to happen."

Penelope shrugs, unaffected by her friends rejection.

"I bet there's a book on this." Veda supplies helpfully.

"Actually," Felicity grabs the hot pink book from her carry on, "Lily got me this when we went shopping... I just can't bring myself to read it."

Penny snatches the book from her hand, opening it up in the middle and starting to read out loud.

"In my experience the girl getting dumped is almost always out of the dumpers league. If you were too good for him in the first place why should you be crying over it? He's the one that should be crying."

"Preach sister," Veda affirms.

"Liss this book is actually pretty good."

"That book is a money grab that takes advantage of heartbroken teenage girls to tell them the exact same things that my sister has been telling me all summer. And it's embarrassing."

"Well if you don't want to listen to the book then listen to Lily! You are too good for Oliver Wood! If he's willing to end your relationship over an owl he obviously isn't the guy you thought he was."

"Yeah! And what are you gonna do all year? Just avoid him until he graduates?"

Felicity's sheepish smile tells them that's exactly what she was going to do.

"You have got to be kidding. You really thought that would work?"

"Hey! It was a good idea."

"No it wasn't." This voice comes from outside their compartment, and Felicity whips her head around to stare at her younger sister.

"Why do you have terrible timing?"

"Actually I have great timing." Then she turns to her sisters friends, "I told her it was the stupidest idea she's ever had."

Felicity let's out a groan, "Can you go away! What are you even doing here?"

"Im heading to the bathroom to change into my robes. We're almost there."

With that she leaves, and the two other Ravenclaws look at their red headed friend.

Their sixth year at Hogwarts was about to start— it was go time.