Chapter Three: First Day

I took my time getting ready in the morning, brushing my teeth for about five minutes straight and blowing out and curling my hair in big waves. The rain would destroy it, and soak my cute blue sweater and jeans, but it was all I could do to keep Jacob off my mind. Just thinking about him put a pit in my stomach.

    I'd decided. Today, after school, I would be at his house, and I'd tell him everything I'd been thinking about for six months.

    But first, I had to go to Forks High School, and face a few other people that I was dreading to see.

    Bella drove our new truck– it was a joint present, but she was older, so she was driving. It didn't bother me much. I hated driving. I found it boring and tedious. Plus, who wants to obey the laws of the road?

    We got to school at 7 a.m. sharp. Bella and I got our schedules in the office, then stopped outside to compare them.

    I groaned. "Chemistry, ew."

    Bella laughed. "Biology. Last period of the day, too."

    I glared at her. "Trade me?"

    She smiled. "No offense, Evie, but I doubt they'll let you in junior classes."

    "Which is completely unfair," I grumbled. "I'm smart!"

    "And you also refuse to do homework."

    "Well, that's on principle," I said. "Shouldn't count against me."

    Bella smiled.

    "Hey, newbie!" Eric Yorkie said as he strolled up, throwing an arm around Bella's shoulder. "It's Isabella, right?"

    "Just Bella," Bella said. "This is my sister, Eve."

    "He knows me," I said to her. "How goes it, Yorkie?"

    "It goes fine," he replied shortly. "So, Bella, we'll get you a feature– I'm thinking front page."

    Bella's eyes shot open. "Oh, no, that's fine– please."

    I chuckled. "Bella's not a feature type of girl."

    "I'm really more of a suffer-in-silence type," Bella muttered.

    "Got ya." Eric winked. "Anything for my girl."

    Eric stalked off, leaving Bella bewildered. She stared at me with wide eyes. "Is he... always like that?"

    "Only with pretty girls who are way out of his league." I rolled my eyes. "Notice how I wasn't a feature? I bet Mike is still talking trash about me, even after all these years. Makes a girl feel special."

    Bella chuckled. "Only you would take gossip as a good thing."

    I shrugged. "I'm optimistic, Bells."

    The school day was almost like one in Phoenix. The school was much smaller, sure, but school was school. It's boring, and not one of my strong suits.

    At lunch, I met with Bella in the cafeteria. She sat with Mike, Jessica Stanley, Angela Weber, and Eric. I smiled as I sat down with her.

    "Hey, guys," I said.

    Mike coughed, looking down at his tray without saying anything.

    Jessica glared at me. "Wow, Evie, it's so good to have you back... for good."

    "Yep," I said, taking a sip of lemonade. I grinned at her. "Go, Spartans."

    Jess hummed. She didn't particularly care for me, but she was civil enough. I knew she liked Mike, even when I'd dated him– which only lasted a year, and was long distance for most of it, but that's a lifetime in middle school.