Chapter Twelve: A.

The next morning, I stared at the email again, still baffled at its contents. Too close for my comfort. Stop trying. I stared at the words so long that they turned into mush in my brain, becoming fragments of words that didn't even make sense anymore. I logged out of my email and shut the computer down.

    I went a full day, chewing my lip raw over it, before I finally called the one person that would know anything at all. I bit my nails as I waited for her to pick up the phone. I was downstairs, alone, which was the only time I could ask her about it.

    "Bella?"

    I sighed. "No, Mom, it's Eve."

    "Evelyn!" She sounded so excited and happy. "How are you, my love?"

    "I'm good." Despite myself, I smiled softly at the pet name. She had a tendency to call Bella and me "love," like she was some old British grandmother. Of course, it was because of that lullaby she sang off-key to us every night. I still appreciated her effort. "Um, how have you been?"

    "I've been fine," she said sweetly. "Been decorating Phil and I's house. I can't wait for you and Bella to visit. You'll love Jacksonville. It's so sunny and warm."

    "I do like sunny and warm."

    "Your dad said you went on a date," she mentioned. I could imagine her twirling her hair on the other side of the phone. "You wanna talk about it?"

    I decided I'd throw her a bone. "Well, we're actually kind of official... it's Jacob Black."

    "Oh! He was Billy's son, right?"

    "Yeah."

    "He was such a cute little kid... is he cute?"

    I sighed, but felt a smile on my face. "Yeah, he's very cute. Um, he's got that sporty thing going on, I guess."

    "Does he play sports?"

    "No, just... naturally athletic."

    She giggled and asked a few more questions about him and our date. I let her know some of the details– just what she had to know, really.

    I cleared my throat. "Um, Mom? I have a question."

    "Anything, sweetie."

    "Who is my father? My biological father, I mean."

    She was silent for a few moments. "Well, he was from London. He was... handsome, very smart. I loved him."

    She'd told me all of this before. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Well, what else? What did he do for a job? What were his hobbies? What was his name?"

    "Evelyn, I don't think you need to know that. Sometimes, a woman has to keep things to herself."

    My mouth fell open. "That doesn't even make any sense! It's my father, I have some right to know who he was!"

    "I'm done talking about this," she said coldly. "He left me– left you. He didn't want children. He made that very clear."

    I felt tears sting my eyes. "What was his name, Mom?"

    "I don't want you to go looking for him. You're being selfish, Evelyn."

    "You're the one who's being selfish!"

    "Think about what this will do to me. To Charlie, to Bella... you're dredging up horrible memories when this family is finally in a good place– selfish."

    "You're keeping a part of me away from me!" I cried. "It's not fair!"

    I heard the phone click. I stared in awe at it. How could she do that? Call me selfish and then hang up the phone? I slammed it down on the line, and the landline fell from the wall at my strength, clattering to the floor.

    I fell to my knees and sobbed. Maybe I was being selfish. I pictured my dad's face– my real dad, Charlie. How disappointed would he be if he found out I was searching for the father that left me? The father that had ruined his marriage? And poor Bella, who I'd been keeping secrets from while scolding her for doing the same. How would she feel if she knew that I was searching for the thing that made us only half-sisters?

    I heard the door slam open.

    I jumped and turned, seeing Bella standing in the doorway. By her side was Edward, who stood so still. He already knew everything, I guessed.

    "Eve!" Bella ran over to me and knelt beside me. "Are you alright? What happened?"

    I just cried, putting my face in my hands. I was so ashamed of my betrayal, of what I'd done. Maybe I really was evil, just the spawn of Renee. Maybe she wasn't the problem. Maybe it had been me this whole time.

    I felt a cold hand on my shoulder.

    I looked up to see Edward's concerned face. He knelt next to me, too, without looking at me. He was still, unshaking as he looked at Bella.

    Her eyes were wide, afraid, and trained on me. "Eve, please... are you okay?"

    I couldn't say anything, choked by another sob.

    Edward pursed his lips. "Bella, will you get her a cold washcloth? I'll stay with her."

    Bella chewed her lip, considering it. "I'll be right back, Evie, okay?"

    She left us alone, and I curled my arms around my knees, placing my chin on them. My tears fell, leaving my jeans wet.

    "Evelyn," Edward muttered.

    I turned my face to him. "What?"

    He rubbed his thumb gently against my shoulder. I thought it was funny, him doing such a human gesture when he was anything but. Trying to soothe me, when he'd probably not had to do that for someone in so long.

    He smiled softly, seemingly at my thoughts. "Your thoughts are so loud. I hear them... constantly, even above everyone else's. Your thoughts are good, too. Clever, but so loving. It's impossible for me not to be endeared to you, especially when your thoughts are so centered around her."

    Bella.

    He nodded. "You see the best sides of her. I can't read her thoughts, but I know she thinks highly of you. She loves you very much. I know what it's like... to loathe yourself." He sighed gently. "But I can assure you that you're not evil."

    I wiped my tears. "You knew the man in the picture. Who is he?"

    Edward considered. "His name is Ashley."

    "Ashley?" A.

    "I don't know him very well." Edward looked off, as if remembering something. "Carlisle did. But I do know that you should stay away."

    "You know I won't."

    "I know."

    At that moment, Bella came down the stairs with the washcloth. She sat in front of me, wiping my face of tears and hugging me, holding me, like she did when we were little.