Chapter Six: Photograph

In the next few weeks, it became increasingly clear to me that Edward Cullen was beginning to become a problem. He'd been hanging around Bella an awful lot, too close for my own comfort. It didn't help that he was giving me the same treatment he'd given her the first week at school. He always glared at me, like I gave him a headache or something.

    I watched her watch him at the lunch table. He wasn't even glancing in our direction, but she stared at him angrily. She'd been wrapped up in her own head lately, which I guessed I was too.

    "La Push, baby," Eric said to her as he sat at the table. "You in?"

    She raised an eyebrow. "Should I know what that means?"

    I scoffed at her. "Bells, you already do. The beach down on the rez."

    "Oh!" she said, running a hand through her hair. "Right."

    I eyed her, confused. What was going on with Cullen that had her so frazzled?

    "We're all going after school. Big swell coming in," Mike said to her.

    Eric jumped on a chair, pretending to surf. "And I don't just surf the internet!"

    I laughed.

    "Eric, you stood up once," Jess remarked, "on a foam board."

    "There's whale watching, too," Angela said to Bella. "You should come with. You, too, Eve."

    "La Push, baby," Eric whispered.

    Bella scoffed a laugh. "I'll go if you stop saying that."

    "I'm in, too," I said. "I've got business down there."

    Bella got up to go to the salad bar. Eric raised an eyebrow questioningly. "What kind of business could you have, dude? You're fifteen."

    I smirked. "I have my secrets, Yorkie."

    "Her business is Jacob Black," Jess teased.

    Mike grinned. He'd been a lot more friendly with me since he'd apologized. "Oh, really?"

    "Whatever, guys, he's just a friend." I rolled my eyes.

    Jess giggled. "Yeah, yeah."

    After school, we piled in our cars and drove out to La Push beach. Jess and Angela rode with Bella and me, and Bella filled us in on how she'd asked Edward to join, only for him to turn it down.

    We pulled up to the beach. I watched as Jess and the guys suited up for the water, only halfway listening as Bella and Angela talked about prom.

    "Bella! Eve!" Jacob said as he walked over to us, followed by Sam Uley and Embry Call.

    I smiled. "Well, well, look who it is."

    "Hey, you're on my rez," he joked. "You surfing?"

    Bella coughed. "Definitely not."

    "Keep her company," Jess teased. "Her date bailed."

    "What date?" Eric asked.

    "She invited Edward," Jess said.

    Bella flushed. "To be polite."

    Angela smiled approvingly. "I think it's nice she invited him. No one ever does."

    "Because Cullen's a freak," Mike muttered.

    "You got that right," Sam remarked.

    I couldn't help but chuckle.