Chapter Thirteen: Dreams

I lied in my bed, Bella still running the washcloth over my forehead. My eyes were red and sore, and they wouldn't seem to stop shedding tears. After I stopped violently sobbing, I finally told her what had happened– about my search for my father, about Mom. She seemed disappointed, but she wasn't mad at me. She cradled my head in her hands, brushing her fingers through my hair. I could've cried even more over how gentle she was.

    "Evie," she whispered softly. "Are you gonna be alright?"

    I shook my head. "I don't know. I just... I've spent months looking for him. Why didn't he– why?" I sobbed again.

    The door opened, and suddenly Dad was in the doorway.

    His dark eyes were wide. "Evie?"

He practically ran to my bedside, gently touching my shoulders. I thought about shifting from Bella's embrace to his, but I still felt so guilty– so selfish. I was just going to hurt him if I told him why I was crying.

"Did– did Jacob do something?" Dad asked Bella quietly.

She shook her head.

"Then what's going on?" His voice was clipped in urgency, but Bella refused to say anything. He turned his face down to me. "What's going on, honey?"

I looked up at him, into his chocolate brown eyes, crying more as shame crept its way into my body. "I'm sorry, Dad."

Dad's eyes were shiny. "Baby, you don't... what happened?"

I wiped my tears and sat up, throwing myself into his arms. "I'm so sorry! I called Mom, and I asked her about my bio-dad, because I've been looking for him! And then she said I was being selfish, and I broke the phone off the wall because I am selfish, and I'm so sorry!"

"I'll handle your mother. And the phone." He wrapped his arms tight around me. "Evelyn Charlotte, you listen to me– you are my girl, okay? No matter what. I wish you'd... I wish you'd told me you were looking for him, but you're not a bad person for wanting to know who your... who your dad is." Despite his words, I could hear the fear in his voice.

"I already know my dad." I pulled back to look him in the eyes. "You're my dad. Just because I wanna know whose genetics made me, doesn't mean that he's gonna be my dad."

Dad smiled softly as he hugged me again, rubbing my back. "I love you, kid."

"I love you, too," I whispered. I pulled back for a second, only to pull Bella into the hug. She joined in awkwardly, wrapping her arms around Dad and me.

They were my family– not only the family I was born to, but also the ones I chose. The ones I would choose above all else.

But there was another part of me out there in the world that I had to find, and I couldn't rest until I did.

    That night, I lied in bed staring at the ceiling, feeling the sneaking suspicion that there were eyes on me. I closed my eyes, trying to sleep.

    In my dreams, I saw the man.

    He was taller than I'd imagined before, towering over me. His golden hair shined in the sunlight that he and I were seated under. His blue eyes stared out at the ocean as the tide pooled in and out at our feet. Stranger than anything, his pale skin seemed to glow, luminous... like pearls.

    He grinned over at me. "So, it's you that's looking for me."

    "Ashley."

    He smiled even harder at hearing his name. "Some call me that. Others call me... monster, devil–"

    "Why do you want me to stop looking for you?" I asked him.

    "The Cullen boy told you," he replied. His voice was smooth, deep, and he had an English accent. He grinned again, showing off perfect white teeth. "I'm dangerous."

    I huffed. "But why are you dangerous? What makes you any more dangerous than Edward Cullen? I've seen what he can do."

    Ashley hummed. "I've found that the most dangerous things don't seem dangerous at all. The real question is... why are you still looking for me? You were smart enough to stay away from the Cullens, unlike your dull sister–"

    "Don't talk about my sister," I hissed, heat flooding my face.

    He laughed, ignoring my anger. "But you just couldn't stay away from me. Why is that, Evelyn?"

    I was silent. Really, I didn't know how to answer his question. I was just going to keep finding things I didn't want to know.

    "That's what I like about dreams." He closed his eyes, swaying gently back and forth. "You can't lie in them. Your mind is so open, so free. So susceptible."

    My eyes widened. "You're... you're really here."

    "Yes, no." He considered. "Your Quileutes have stories about... spirit warriors. Astral projection." He laughed. "I'm not physically here. Just visiting. In your mind."

    I shook my head. "I'm confused."

    He smiled. "Stay that way."

    I startled awake, my heart beating faster than it ever had. I looked around the room, making sure I was still there. Making sure that he wasn't there.

    Once I was sufficiently calmed down, I grabbed my cell phone and texted Jacob. Are you awake?

    It was a few minutes before he responded. I am now. You okay?

    I wanted to tell him everything, but this wasn't a conversation that could be had over text. I wasn't even sure if the dream was real. I wasn't sure if I was right in the head. I sighed and texted back, Yeah. Call you tomorrow.

    I shut off my phone and curled up on my side. I went to slide my hand under my pillow to lay my head on it. That was when I felt something crunch under my hand.

    I flicked on my lamp and pulled out a slip of paper.

    Sweet dreams. -Ash.

    I swallowed drily, tears pricking my eyes. He had been here, in my room, long enough to put something under my pillow while I slept. I felt sick to my stomach.

    My dream was real, then, which meant that Ashley– whether he was my father or not– had access to my consciousness. Astral projection, he had called it.

    I had to talk to someone– and there was only one person that could possibly give me any answers to who Ashley was: Carlisle Cullen.