Chapter Ten: Vampire

"Yeah, quick question– are you high?"

    I groaned. "Jacob, I'm serious. Don't you think that there's any slight chance that the Cullens could be... you know."

    "No," he said. "I don't."

    "Think about it," I whispered to make sure Dad couldn't hear us. "The mind reading, the way he just scared those guys off, their skin! Jake, open your mind for two seconds."

    Jacob sighed on the other side of the phone. "Evie, it's just not possible. It's a fairytale. The Cold Ones aren't real. It's just an old legend, like... like the fact that Quileutes are descended from wolves. If that were true, I'd know, wouldn't I?"

    I chewed on my lip. "Okay, so that part may be just legend."

    He was quiet for a few moments. "Eve, is it possible that you're... seeing things that aren't really there?"

    "Excuse me?" I hissed.

    "You've had a rough couple months, with the move and trying to find your dad. And I'm just wondering if those guys in Port Angeles rattled you." His tone was earnest, searching for any possible reason. Trying to help. It made me furious.

    "I'm not crazy," I growled.

    "Eve–"

    I hung up the phone before he could say another word, slamming it onto its hook. Dad stirred on the couch, but didn't wake up. I stomped up the stairs to my room.

To tell the truth, I didn't know if I was angrier at him or myself. He was right. Vampires weren't real— the things of scary stories and horror movies. I was an idiot for thinking otherwise.

    Was I really going crazy? Seeing things that weren't there, perceiving things that had perfectly normal explanations as something insane?

    I sighed and looked up at the ceiling, feeling tears run down the sides of my eyes and into my ears. I just cried for a while, letting myself feel how quickly my life was getting twisted into something I didn't recognize. Then, I heard a tap on my window.

    I sat up, wiping my face as I watched another small pebble gently collide with the windowpane.

    I walked over and opened it to find Jacob standing below the window.

    "What are you doing here?" I called softly, making sure no one was around. The Forks sky had been enveloped in the darkness of nighttime.

    Jacob frowned up at me before hastily climbing the tree outside my window. It wasn't without trouble, but Jacob had always been nimble and athletic. As he got to my window level, he jumped from the tree to my windowsill, pulling himself up.

    He panted as he stood inside my room. "Hey."

    "Hey," I said, looking down. I didn't meet his eyes, not wanting him to know that I'd been crying.

    "I just came over to say sorry," he said, placing his hands on either side of my face. He gently pulled my face up, making me look at him. "I shouldn't have... I suck at this boyfriend thing, okay?"

    His words made my heart jump. "Boyfriend?"

    He flushed, his dark cheeks turning slightly redder. "I mean... I'm not off-base here, am I?"

    I smiled. "So, boyfriend-girlfriend?"

    He grinned, chuckling. "That is, if you're not still mad at me for being a jerk."

    "Hm, I think we can get past that," I teased, reaching up to link my hands behind his neck. I kissed him.

    He pulled me closer by my hips before resting his forehead on mine. "Glad I didn't screw it up before it started."

    "One condition, though." I pulled away and walked to my computer, turning it on before pulling up the search history. "You need to hear me out– because I'm only on this trail because Bella is."

    He frowned, coming over to lean over my shoulder. "What?"

    "These are her searches for last week, right after we got back from Port Angeles," I whispered. "She was looking up vampires like crazy."

    Jacob shook his head. "Okay."

    "When we were in Port Angeles, she got this book on legends from your tribe," I said, fishing around in the desk drawer before pulling it out. I slammed it on the table. "I think she thinks– or knows– that the story about the Cullens is real. They're the Cold Ones."

    Jacob paced around behind me. "Okay, let's say for a second that Bella thinks all this is real. That doesn't mean she was right."

    I chewed on my lip, looking up at him.

    "What?"

    "The other day at school... Bella and Edward Cullen went up in the woods. Together. They skipped class the whole day," I said. "Ever since then, they've been inseparable."

    Jacob shook his head. "Is there something I'm missing here?"

    "I think she got him to admit it." I sighed. "A month ago, she hated the guy, Jake... And your dad warned me to tell Bella to stay away from him! Why would he do that if it wasn't real?"

    Jacob stopped to consider it. "It would explain the weird mind-reading thing..."

    "Exactly."

    He sighed. "Evie, I just don't know."

    "Then don't know," I said, standing up. "Just trust me."

    "You know I do."

    "Then put it to use," I said, holding him by the shoulders. I looked into his dark eyes. He looked so afraid, so concerned for me– like he was still thinking I'd gone insane. "Jacob, I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't really think I was right. You don't know what it was like in that car. It was like... it was like I could feel that he wasn't human."

    Jacob searched my eyes for a few moments. "Okay," he said. "Okay, I trust you."

    I nodded. "Thank you."

    "And the Cullens, for whatever reason, know your dad."

    "Yes."

    "So..."

    I nodded. "Whoever he is, just a picture of him made Edward Cullen practically run away from me. I think it's pretty safe to assume he knows something about... vampires."

    Jacob sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Jeez, this is screwed up."

    "I know." I nodded, sitting down on my bed. "It's probably for the best that my mom never told me about him."

    Jacob sat next to me. I leaned my head against his shoulder, and he wrapped his arm around me.

    "I'm sorry," he whispered.

    "It's okay," I replied. "The search ends here. Whatever he's been up to, I don't think I want to know."

    "You're probably right," he said.