Chapter Eleven: The Girl

The next morning, I woke up to a single text from Jacob.

Get ready. Pick you up at 6.

Confused, I sent back, To go where?

I waited patiently, biting my nails as I watched my phone. Instead of sending back an answer, he sent a cryptic, Don't worry about it.

I growled and got out of bed. This was what I got for dating Jacob Black of all people. Evasive, teasing, borderline sadistic Jacob Black, who thought it was funny to make plans based around my personal vendetta against a lack of control.

I got up and got ready, but not before monitoring Bella, who was at the computer, sending off an email to our mother. I wondered about her relationship with Edward Cullen– was she in danger? After all, he was a vampire. They drank blood. I searched for any sorts of bites on her, seeing nothing visible.

She turned halfway and raised an eyebrow. "Can I help you?"

I shrugged.

Bella turned to me, her dark brown eyes ringed with black from a lack of sleep, I guessed. "You've been acting weird lately. Is something up?"

I shrugged again, shaking my head. "Nope."

She narrowed her eyes. "Evie, I've known you long enough to tell when you're lying to me."

I sighed. "Are you dating Edward Cullen?"

She flushed. "Um..."

My eyes widened. "Bella! Why didn't you tell me?"

She shrugged defensively. "I thought you knew!"

"It's not like it's common knowledge! When were you gonna tell me that you were dating him?"

She looked down, away from me.

I gaped. "You weren't going to tell me?"

"I just..." She sighed. "It's complicated."

I'd had it. Right there in the middle of my room, before I'd even so much as brushed my teeth, I decided to let loose the crux of the issue. "Complicated like he's a vampire."

As soon as she looked up at me, I knew I was right. I knew she knew, too. Her dark eyes were bigger than I'd ever seen them, her mouth dropped open.

"Evie..." she said carefully. "W..." She fumbled for words. It wasn't often that your sister called you out on dating a vampire, so I could understand the struggle.

"Yeah, I found your search history," I admitted, "and I didn't guess you'd taken an interest in Anne Rice novels."

"Eve–"

"How could you not tell me?" I cried. "I'm your sister!"

She stood up. "It's not my secret to tell. Besides, it's not exactly the easiest thing to tell somebody."

"I just... we're sisters, Bella. Didn't you think you could trust me with this?" I asked, shaking my head in disbelief.

She sighed. "I trust you with my life. But..."

"But?" I asked, frowning.

"Things are different now." She crossed her arms.

I shook my head. "They're not. You're the only one who's different."

Before she could say anything else, I went to the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I felt lousy for yelling at her, partly because I hated fighting with my sister, and partly because I knew I was a huge hypocrite. I'd been the one hiding things, stacking up too many secrets to count about my father and my search for him– including the fact that he dealt with vampires.