1

Yeji stirred, her eyelids fluttering open as she slowly emerged from a deep slumber. The sterile white walls of the hospital room greeted her, punctuated by the soft beeping of machines that surrounded her. It took a moment for her groggy mind to catch up with her surroundings, but as consciousness settled in, she remembered where she was.

She was a nineteen-year-old girl, trapped within the confines of this hospital, waiting for a heart. Her own had grown weak and weary, threatening to extinguish the flame of her youth prematurely. It was a cruel twist of fate that had brought her here, but she clung to the hope of a second chance, the hope of a new heart that would grant her the gift of life.

A yawn escaped Yeji's lips as she stretched her limbs beneath the thin hospital sheets. Her gaze wandered to the window, where daylight streamed in, casting a warm glow across the room. It was then that she heard it—a faint sound, like the soft sniffing of someone trying to stifle their tears.

Curiosity piqued, Yeji turned her head and found herself staring at a girl about her own age, standing just outside her room. Strands of ebony hair framed a delicate face, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. There was something hauntingly beautiful about her, an aura of sorrow that seemed to envelop her entire being.

Inexplicably drawn to the girl, Yeji's heart thudded within her chest, though weakened and fragile. She longed to understand the cause of her tears, to reach out and comfort her in some way. Gathering her strength, Yeji pushed herself upright, the world spinning momentarily as her body protested the sudden movement.

A soft knock on the door diverted her attention, and she turned to see her best friend, Chaeryeong, entering the room with a warm smile. Chaeryeong was a constant source of support throughout Yeji's hospital stay, her unwavering presence a comfort in the face of uncertainty.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Chaeryeong greeted, crossing the room to embrace Yeji gently. "How are you feeling today?"

Yeji returned the embrace, offering a tired but grateful smile. "Better, I suppose. The usual hospital routine, you know."

Chaeryeong's eyes softened with concern as she pulled away slightly. "You're so strong, Yeji. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I'm here for you. Always."

Yeji nodded, her gratitude tinged with a touch of guilt. She knew how much Chaeryeong had sacrificed to be by her side. "Thank you, Chaeryeong. You've been my rock through all of this. I don't know what I would do without you."

Chaeryeong's expression turned solemn, a hint of sadness flickering across her features. "You won't have to find out, Yeji. Because soon, you'll have a new heart. I just know it."

Yeji's heart skipped a beat at Chaeryeong's words, a mixture of hope and trepidation washing over her. The thought of a new heart meant the possibility of life, yet it also meant another life had been cut short. She couldn't help but wonder about the girl outside her room, the one with tears staining her cheeks.

Before Yeji could voice her thoughts, Chaeryeong's face brightened with a mix of excitement and concern. "I'm sorry, Yeji, but I have to go. There's a project I need to finish for class. Promise me you'll rest and take care of yourself while I'm gone?"

Yeji nodded, understanding the demands of Chaeryeong's own life. "I will, Chaeryeong. Don't worry about me. Go and do what you need to do."

With a final wave and a promise to return soon, Chaeryeong left the room, leaving Yeji alone with her thoughts once more. As the door clicked shut, the sniffing sound outside her room grew louder, drawing her attention back to the enigmatic girl.

Yeji's curiosity burned brighter than ever. Who was she, and why did her tears hold such a weight? With a surge of determination, Yeji steeled herself and prepared to unravel the mystery that had inexplicably entwined her fate with that of the weeping girl. Little did she know that the answers she sought would lead her down a path she could never have anticipated—one of love, loss, and the fragile threads that connected their hearts together.