11

The day of their long-awaited meetup arrived, and both Yeji and Ryujin prepared themselves with a mix of excitement and anticipation. They agreed to meet at a cozy café, where they could grab some food and drinks to enjoy as they talked. As Yeji stood outside the café, she couldn't help but feel her heart race in her chest. She was determined to gather her courage and share her true feelings with Ryujin, but the thought of potential rejection filled her with nervous energy.

Ryujin arrived, her warm smile lighting up the surroundings. They exchanged greetings and stepped inside, finding a quiet corner to settle into. Their conversation flowed effortlessly, laughter intertwining with the genuine connection they shared. As the hours passed, Ryujin extended an invitation for Yeji to come over to her place so they could continue their conversation without any time constraints. Yeji's heart skipped a beat at the prospect of spending more time together.

As they settled in a comfortable corner of Ryujin's home, Yeji's mind was consumed by the weight of her unspoken confession. "Should I do it? Is now the right time?" she questioned herself repeatedly, her thoughts swirling in an endless loop. With each passing moment, Yeji grew more determined. It was now or never.

Ryujin returned from a quick trip to the bathroom, unaware of the internal struggle Yeji had been wrestling with. Sensing the gravity of the moment, Yeji took a deep breath and mustered her courage. She knew she had to be honest, regardless of the outcome.

"Hey, uh, Ryujin... There's something I think I need to tell you," Yeji began, her voice tinged with shyness and nervousness.

Ryujin, with genuine curiosity, nodded and encouraged Yeji to proceed, her eyes filled with a mix of innocence and anticipation.

Yeji took another deep breath, her heart pounding in her chest. "I know this is kind of sudden, but... I think... I like you. More than just a friend, you know? But please, know that I'm not expecting anything from you. I just wanted to clear it out of my head, and, well, I guess you deserve to know," Yeji confessed, her voice filled with a shy vulnerability.

Ryujin's gaze fixated on Yeji, her eyes reflecting a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. A hundred thoughts raced through her mind, her heart echoing with the memories of losing Lia and the fear of facing that pain once again. She contemplated her own readiness, convinced that she only saw Yeji as a friend. However, little did she know that her reservations might just be a shield of denial, guarding her from the possibility of a deeper connection. Would she come to realize the truth buried beneath her surface? Only time would tell.

The silence between them stretched, pregnant with anticipation. Yeji anxiously awaited Ryujin's response, her heart suspended in hope and trepidation. In that moment, the air was thick with the unspoken question: would their bond evolve into something more, or would their friendship remain unchanged?

"I... Yeji, I appreciate your honesty," Ryujin began, her voice filled with sincerity. "But right now, I'm not sure if I can reciprocate those feelings in the same way. I'm sorry. I hope you understand."

Yeji's heart sank, though she had anticipated this response. She nodded, holding back her tears, and mustered a faint smile. "I understand, Ryujin. Thank you for being honest with me," she said softly.

Not wanting to make Ryujin uncomfortable or burdened, Yeji excused herself, gathering her belongings and making her way out of Ryujin's house. The journey home felt heavy, and as soon as she closed her bedroom door, the dam of emotions burst forth. Tears streamed down her face as the pain of unrequited love washed over her.

She cried, allowing herself to grieve for what could have been, for the vulnerability she had shown. Yeji knew she had taken a risk, but the outcome still hurt deeply. The night stretched on as she sought solace in her tears, finding release and acceptance in the silence of her room.