2

The air in the hospital room seemed to crackle with anticipation as Yeji sat on the edge of her bed, her mind racing with a mix of hope and apprehension. Moments ago, the nurse had entered, breaking the silence and bringing news that would change her life forever.

"I have some good news, Yeji," the nurse said with a gentle smile. "We've found a heart for you."

A surge of emotions washed over Yeji—relief, gratitude, and a sense of disbelief. The possibility of a new heart meant the chance to live, to escape the confines of the hospital, and to embrace a future that once seemed uncertain.

Yeji's eyes widened, and her voice trembled with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. "Really? Are you sure?"

The nurse nodded, her expression kind yet somber. "Yes, Yeji. It's a bittersweet situation. The heart comes from a young woman who recently passed away. She was involved in a tragic car accident. Her girlfriend, the one you saw outside your room, is grieving for her."

Yeji's heart sank, a wave of conflicting emotions crashing over her. The joy of receiving a new heart mingled with the sorrow and guilt for the loss the grieving girl had endured. It was an unexpected twist of fate, connecting their lives in ways Yeji couldn't fathom.

The nurse continued, her voice soft and compassionate. "I understand this might feel overwhelming for you. But please know that this transplant could give you a second chance at life, and the young woman's legacy will live on through you."

Yeji nodded, her throat tightening with emotion. "Thank you, Nurse. Please proceed with the necessary arrangements for the surgery tomorrow. I want to honor her and make the most of this precious gift."

With a reassuring smile, the nurse left the room, leaving Yeji to process the weight of the news that had just been bestowed upon her. She knew that her life would change forever, not just physically, but also in the intricate tapestry of her own heart and soul.

Taking a deep breath, Yeji reached for her phone and dialed her family's number. She needed to share this momentous news with the people who had supported her throughout this arduous journey. Their voices filled her ears, a chorus of joy and relief blending with the underlying sadness of the situation.

As the evening wore on, the hospital room grew quiet once again, the steady hum of machines providing a subtle lullaby. Yeji found herself staring out into the corridor, hoping to catch another glimpse of the grieving girl. But to her disappointment, the space outside her room was empty and void of the sorrowful figure she had come to be intrigued by.

Sighing softly, Yeji accepted that the girl had retreated into the shadows, perhaps needing her own space and time to heal. With a heavy heart, she closed her eyes, allowing weariness to wash over her. Tomorrow would mark the beginning of a new chapter—a chapter intertwined with the memory and spirit of the girl who had unknowingly become her heart's final resting place.

In the silence of the room, Yeji whispered a silent prayer, sending her gratitude to the universe for the chance at life she had been given, and silently hoping that somehow, the threads of their lives would become entangled in a way that would bring solace and healing to them both. With that, she surrendered to sleep, her dreams carrying her into a future where two hearts would beat as one.