13

A week had passed since Yeji and Ryujin had last seen each other, and the weight of their unspoken feelings had become unbearable for Yeji. Determined to address the situation, she made up her mind to confront Ryujin, expressing her deep affection and the desire to salvage their friendship. She carefully dressed herself, lacing up her sneakers, preparing to leave. Yeji chose to walk to Ryujin's house, seeking solace in her own thoughts along the way. Despite the clamor of passing cars, she found a sense of peace, fueled by the hope of resolving things with Ryujin and her profound appreciation for their bond.

However, luck seemed to conspire against Yeji as rain began to pour from the sky. Undeterred by the downpour, she decided to run the remaining ten minutes to Ryujin's house. Little did she know that this choice would bring her to the brink of life and death. Suddenly, Yeji felt a wave of weakness engulf her, causing her to collapse on the wet pavement. Thankfully, passersby noticed her distress and promptly called for an ambulance.

Once inside the ambulance, medical professionals frantically checked Yeji's vital signs, desperately trying to revive her. The situation appeared dire as Yeji showed no response, but with one last attempt, her pulse miraculously returned, and she began to breathe again. Upon arrival at the hospital, Yeji was swiftly brought to a room, and her family was notified. Within minutes, her worried parents, Hyunjin, and Chaeryeong arrived, overwhelmed with relief that Yeji had shown incredible strength in overcoming such a harrowing experience.

The doctor entered the room, astonishment evident on their face. They informed Yeji's family that she had suffered cardiac arrest, a condition from which few people recover. Grateful for Yeji's survival, the family expressed their heartfelt appreciation to the doctor before they departed. Chaeryeong, unsure of what to do next, reached out to Yuna for advice. The question weighed heavily on her: Should they inform Ryujin about the incident? Would Yeji want her there? Ultimately, Chaeryeong made the decision to call Ryujin.

"Hello?" Ryujin's voice trembled with concern.

"Hey, Ryujin... I just wanted to let you know that Yeji is in the hospital right now," Chaeryeong said, her own worry evident.

"What? Why? Where are you guys now?" Ryujin's panic was palpable as she prepared to leave.

"We're in the hospital near your place. I'm pretty sure she was on her way to your house when it happened. Anyways, come quickly. I'm sure Yeji wants you here. She's not awake yet."

"Thanks, Ryeong. I'll be there in a few." With a racing heart, Ryujin hung up the phone and rushed to the hospital. She frantically approached the reception desk, inquiring about Yeji's room number. Upon receiving the information, she hurriedly made her way through the hospital corridors, a whirlwind of thoughts spinning in her head.

The scene felt hauntingly familiar to Ryujin, reminiscent of the painful memories she had of Lia in the same hospital. She knew this feeling all too well. She had vowed never to experience such anguish again, yet here she was, consumed by fear and panic. Sliding open the door to Yeji's room, Ryujin found everyone gathered inside. A silent agreement was made, granting her space to be alone with Yeji. She took a seat next to the bed, her trembling hand reaching out to hold Yeji's.

"Yeddeong... please don't leave me... I'm sorry," Ryujin's voice cracked, tears streaming down her face, her heart heavy with regret.

Unbeknownst to Ryujin, Yeji was beginning to regain consciousness. She could hear the voice she longed for, the words piercing through her fragile state. Though pretending to be asleep, she listened intently, absorbing every heartfelt confession Ryujin poured out.

"Please... as I was coming here, I realized so many things. This obviously isn't the best way to do it," she chuckled. "Hwang Yeji, this isn't just an 'I think,' it's an 'I know.' I love you, Yeji. Losing Lia broke me, and I feel incredibly lucky to have found you. You've brought so much brightness into my life, and I am so grateful. You've taught me to cherish my loved ones and keep them safe. Unfortunately, I failed at the second once, and almost twice. So, again, please stay with me. I will take care of you and love you even if you stop." Ryujin gently caressed Yeji's hand and stared at her, gently tucking a strand of hair that was blocking her face.

Thinking Yeji was still asleep, Ryujin let out a heavy sigh and prepared to stand up. However, as she attempted to pull her hand away, Yeji held on tightly, refusing to let go. She slowly opened her eyes, revealing a look of shock on Ryujin's face.

a/n

LMAO im sorry i haven't updated :// i think one or two more updates before this is finished. thanks sm to everyone who read and supported this book!