Nine.

It was time for cheerleading practice. Yes, I joined East Highland's cheerleading squad.

I wasn't sure of joining in the first place but Maddy and Cassie eventually convinced me to. In addition to that, I thought cheerleading wasn't my thing until I actually joined them.

The thrill of being on top while performing my stunts felt like I was on top of the world. It made me feel powerful, like I was the star of the show.

I never doubted my teammates to catch me if and when I fall because I know they would keep me safe at all cost. That was why I relish being our team's flyer.

"Gather up, everyone." Our cheer captain, Maddy, hollered. "The pep rally is getting closer day by day and I want us to look perfect out there. In two weeks time, we're going to kill it out there, alright?"

The whole squad cheered with full energy spewing out. East Highland High's pep rally was the highlight of every new semester. We put on our best performance out there and hype up the spirit of football season.

Our school's very own football team, Blackhawks, would be playing against our school's rivalry team. Now, Blackhawks had been winning every game at every season and we intend to keep it that way.

We ran our routines over and over again until we nailed every single one of them. All of us were doing great throughout the practice without anyone messing up, up until, Blackhawks' arrival on the tracks.

It had slipped my mind that Nate fucking Jacobs was a part of the team. In fact, he was the star quarterback ever since they won during freshman year.

Now, I was not a huge fan of Blackhawk—the toxic masculinity they displayed openly disgusted me in various ways—but, we as cheerleaders got to do what we do to cheer them on and maintain the school's reputation.

Whenever they passed by us during practice, some of them would be throwing catcalls and name-callings towards us and McKay was an idiot for not defending Cassie when she was being harassed by his teammates.

Back when Maddy and Nate were still together, he would come up behind her and slapped her ass in front of all of us. While we're stunned, his teammates praised him for acting 'like a man' and that would pissed me off so much.

"You girls are so sexy for this!" One of the Blackhawks shouted, earning snickers from them.

"We would feel much more motivated if we're cheered on by our personal cheerleaders, don't you think so, Nate?"

"Yeah, I couldn't agree more." Nate threw a smirk towards my direction and before I could stop myself, I pointed him the finger in midst of our routine.

"Oof! Did you see that, Nate? That hot brunette gave us the finger."

In normal circumstances, I would feel appreciated to be called hot. But when it came from the Blackhawks, I would not hesitate to knee them on their dick.

They view women as sexual objects; someone they could control and use at their disposal once they're done with their fun.

"Get the fuck out unless you want us to call in for harassment." Maddy glared.

"Sorry," Nate mocked as he raised his hands in surrender. "My boys were just playing."

McKay gave Cassie an apologetic look before they leave whilst Nate burned holes through my body with his eyes.