Seoul

If love and hate are the same word, then I hate you Seoul.

Polluted is the smell of life here, the soot that tickles my nose irritates me so. I grew up to the person I am today because of you, but when my memories stare right back at me it starts to get boring. When you’re on the same route to work everyday, seeing the same soot coloured buildings, masked people, the same blurred concrete landscape, you start to forget the love you once had for the city you grew up in. You crave a different scenery, a different chord and harmony. Who wants to live in a major fifth for the rest of their lives?

But I stay. 

If love and hate are the same word, then I love you Seoul.

No matter how hard I try I can’t let go of this place that I spent so much time becoming a part of. You are as much a part of me as I am of you. What holds me to your side like this? This place is familiarity, it’s comfort, because I can’t find those feelings in something or some place I don’t know. I miss my youth, but you are all I know now. As much as I hate the nastiness and fumes you exude, I can’t help but hold them close to my heart because you are my home now.

I want to leave you, I hate you Seoul.

I want to leave you, but I love you Seoul.