2 - Freshly cut grass

"Do you think Liquid Luck is cheating?" Evangeline asked worriedly over lunch. Natty and Garreth sat opposite her, pondering the question whilst Lina sat poring over textbooks which were splayed out across the table. "On tests, I mean. I know they're banned in OWLs and NEWTs, but for little tests like with Binns is it ok?"

"I guess so," Garreth said, helping himself to seconds. "Depends on if you revised or not. If you have, I think it's fine. Like a confidence booster."

"That's the problem," Lina sighed in response. "I've been so busy with Astronomy work, staying out all bloody night to look at stars, I fall asleep whenever I'm supposed to do my other homework!"

"Ah," Natty sighed. "Just this once it should be fine."

"Mmm, I guess so. But I'm a Ravenclaw! I'm supposed to be a genius and not rely on stupid Felix Felicis from Sebastian Sallow for tests!"

"I know!" Natty suddenly exclaimed. "Why don't you only drink a little! A quarter of the vial's hardly anything, and therefore it's better than the whole thing. Also, it's not like you'll be copying off of Amit like Prewett does every time we have a quiz."

"Ok. If you think so."

The bells began to ring, signalling the end of lunch and the start of classes for the afternoon. Natty headed off to divination, leaving Garreth and Evangeline to head to history of magic. The pair packed up their bags as the great hall filtered out, and once it was emptied a small, conical vial was removed from Lina's pocket.

"I really hope this works," she said, flicking the cap off. She poured about half of the potion (which she thought smelt of honeydukes and freshly-cut grass) into her mouth, and forced it down her throat. "D'you want the rest? I don't have any use for it, and I hardly doubt you studied for this test," Lina offered.

The Gryffindor didn't even need time to think, almost instantly replying with, "Yes, please. I thought you'd never ask." The small bottle was handed to Garreth, who too threw his head back and finished the silvery liquid. He winced. "Bit of an odd texture, that. Smelt nice though, like cinnamon and green apples. And something floral. But it tasted grim."

The two began to head down toward the dungeons, where the history of magic classroom was located. A little ironic, really, as most students thought that class was worse than prison.

"I thought it smelt more of honeydukes, or butterbeer maybe, and the quidditch pitches after it rained," Evangeline said, shrugging.

"Oh yeah, are you watching my game later?" Garreth asked, remembering he forgot to ask Lina. "Biggest game of the season, y'know."

Evangeline giggled, nodding. "Of course, Gare. I wouldn't miss you beating Sebastian Sallow for the world. And the other Slytherins, of course."

"Great. Afterwards, meet me under the stands so we can go to the afterparty."

Lina blushed slightly, a slight fluttery feeling bouncing around in her stomach. This was new. "Sounds like a plan," she said, pushing the door to history of magic open. The rows of desks were full with classmates, heads bent down over their desks scribbling away.

"Mr Weasley and Miss Clarke, it appears you two are late by exactly 7 minutes and 34 seconds, 35 seconds, 36..." Professor Binns droned monotonously, floating down the classroom to the door. "Your examination is on the development of the summoning charm, accio, and how Gilbert Crouchback used this spell to quash the troll uprising in Wales in the 15th century. I expect the parchment provided to be filled, which is 15 inches, and roughly..."

Garreth rolled his eyes, and muttered a half-assed apology before splitting with Evangeline and sitting down at his desk. She did the same, pulling out her quill and starting to write. This liquid luck had better kick in soon, she thought as her mind went blank, mentally trying to sweep away the cobwebs that had collected in the corners of her brain.

Lina had only begun to write when she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She slowly pulled it out and sat it on her lap, trying to hide it from Binns. A text from Garreth had popped up.

Garreth 2:08 PM: I don't think this potion is working. I can't remember shit

Evangeline 2:08 PM: neither. I think sallow scammed me

Garreth 2:08 PM: That fucker

Evangeline 2:09 PM: make sure to aim all your bludgers at him later

Garreth 2:09 PM: Already planning on it

Professor Binns floated up from his desk and plucked a tome off a bookshelf behind him, glancing over at the students before sitting back down, leafing through the book. Lina's heart rate rose, flicking her eyes quickly between the professor, her phone and Garreth.

Evangeline 2:09 PM: turn your phone off weasley bc if we're caught we r both screwed

Garreth 2:09 PM: Its fineeee. I doubt Binns even knows what a phone is

Garreth 2:11 PM: Oi Lina I need help

Garreth 2:14 PM: ???

Garreth 2:14 PM: Ffs I'm going to fail so hard

Lina could feel her phone vibrate with every text, but ignored it and knuckled down on the paper. She stole glances at Weasley, who appeared to be looking for answers online. Not very surprisingly, most muggle websites didn't have much information on the troll uprising of 1429. He ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled a deep breath, his cheeks puffing up. He caught Evangeline's eye and mouthed 'check your phone!' and 'give me the answers', neither of which she did. She shook her head and turned her face back to the test in front of her, smiling to herself about Garreth's meagre attempts to get the answers off her.

It was unusual for Evangeline to be smirking at this: Garreth often tried to prise answers out of her, which always resulted in Lina covering her test up and jokingly scolding him after the exam. Never had she felt these odd butterflies before around Garreth, especially when he was texting her and trying to talk to her across the class without being caught. The secrecy of it all was exhilarating for Lina. 

The bell tower once again chimed, and as it did so, Professor Binns dragged himself out his seat. "That is the end of your test, please may you write your name on the top and hand it to me as you leave. I look forward to reading and marking these," he muttered, and his voice was drowned out by the chatter of the students, all groaning and panicking about their answers.

Sebastian and Ominis regrouped outside of the doors, a sour look on both their faces. "Why didn't the potion work?" Sebastian asked, annoyed that he missed out on a babbling Evangeline, word-vomiting in front of the whole class. 

"Maybe she didn't take it," Ominis suggested. "She is a Ravenclaw - probably studied all through lunch break, and was confident enough to not need it."

"Yeah, I guess," Sebastian replied disappointedly. "However, we do still have your amortentia. Did you send an owl to Zenobia?"

Ominis nodded slyly. "I did. Pretended I was Duncan and everything. I also mixed the potion with some firewhiskey," he muttered, producing a metal flask. "You give the flask to him at the party, and stick him in a random broom cupboard. Then we'll get Zenobia in there, and revenge is served."

"Bloody hell, Ominis. How did you come up with that plan so quickly?"

"I'm a Gaunt. Being a prick is in my blood."