3 - Moths, or butterflies?

Garreth Weasley stood under the stands, hyping himself up for the game. Wired earbuds blasted music in his ears as he stared down at the cracked screen in front of him, squinting away from the low autumn sun as he whacked the side of phone against his palm.

"Stupid thing," he muttered under his breath. "Fucking work for once..."

"You know, it might actually work if you didn't chuck it everywhere," A voice announced behind him, and upon spinning around he saw a familiar Ravenclaw smiling up at him. He pulled his earbuds out, and pocketed the phone. "I just wanted to say good luck out there," Evangeline said sweetly, bundled up in a thick scarf.

"Oh, thanks," he replied awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. A blush crept up his neck, and he leant against the wall next to him as he noticed what Lina was wearing: a deep red, almost burgundy shirt hid away under her thick scarf, a warm yellow 'G' stitched into the centre. "Good to see you're supporting the winning team."

"How could I say no? I had to drag Natty all the way to Hogsmeade to get it - she wasn't very happy with me, to say the least," Evangeline chuckled, twiddling her wand in-between her fingers, but she tucked it into her sleeve when the sound of a shrill whistle filled the air.

"You'd best be off," Garreth said, tossing his phone to the side, landing on a patch of grass. "You'll get the best view of the game from up in the stands." The Gryffindor grabbed his broom and headed towards the pitch, only turning back when Evangeline called out "good luck!". He smiled and the same hot flush crept further up his neck, tinging the tips of his ears. 

Biting winds blew through the pitch, the chill of late October settling in like a thick blanket. Evangeline drew her scarf tighter around her neck, slipping her fingers into her coat pockets as she watched the game in front of her. Natty and Poppy stood to the left of her, chattering about something, yet all Lina could do was think of Garreth. How she had never before noticed the tiny blue and hazel flecks in his eyes, or how in the sunlight his hair held streaks of bronze, copper, and gold threadlike strands, or how when they talked he would tilt his head to the side a little. Such small things made Lina feel a strange sense of warmth that bubbled in her belly and tickled like moths. 

"Hey, earth to Evangeline!" Poppy said, wiggling her fingers in front of Lina's face. She jumped slightly, and blinked at the pair stood next to her.

"Sorry, Pops, lost in thought. What's going on?" She asked, wincing from the frozen gusts that knived at her cheeks. 

"Gryffindor are 7 goals up, and Garreth almost knocked Imelda off her broom! She won't be happy about that one," Natty said, shouting as her words were blown away by the breeze and the drone of other student's voices. "Lets just hope Nellie catches the snitch before Sallow does!"

"I want Gryffindor to win, for you and Garreth, but if they do I'll have to play them next!" Lina shouted. "I really don't want to play Gryffindor again."

"You got absolutely battered last time," Poppy laughed, her eyes darting across the sky as she followed the tiny matchstick-sized players. 

"Don't remind me."

Lina's nose was a novel shade of red by the time the snitch was caught, quivering slightly, her breaths turning into tiny clouds of cotton in front of her blue-tinges lips. A sense of relief washed over her when she heard: "And Nellie Oggspire catches the golden snitch for Gryffindor!" She jumped up alongside the Gryffindors that surrounded her, erupting into celebratory cheers and shouts. Icy palms tingled with each clap, and Evangeline noticed Garreth, cheeks pink, grinning as he steered his broom to the ground; she began to weave through the students in the stand.

"Be back in a sec!" She yelled to Poppy and Natty, before slipping away down the stairs. Steering around the corner, ahead stood Garreth, laughing and high-fiving his teammates. Lina ran up to him and enveloped him in a tight bear hug. He let out a slight 'oh' sound, and stood awkwardly for a moment before wrapping his long, freckled arms around her.

"Bloody hell, Lina, you're freezing!" He let out, feeling her cheek against his collarbone. 

"You're boiling! It was so cold up there I think my fingers might fall off," she exclaimed, pulling out of the hug. "It was worth it though. I think. Well done though."

"Ah, thanks! Sallow won't be too happy with me though, but this means I'm playing you next," he smirked, running his hands through his hair. 

"I promise I won't go too easy on you," Lina said sarcastically. She laughed when she saw the almost outraged look on his face. "You'll catch flies if you don't shut your mouth!"

Garreth snapped his mouth shut. "No need to go easy on me. I'm the one who needs to go easy on you."

"Whatever you say, Weasley, whatever you say."

The pair strolled out of the stands as Garreth squeezed Evangeline around the shoulders in a feeble attempt to keep her warm - he was practically a radiator. The smell of grass lingered on his quidditch gear like cologne, a cloud that hung around him like a shadow. Natty and Poppy were waiting just outside the doorway, covered in thick coats and sweaters. 

"I knew you'd be down here," Poppy told Evangeline. The Hufflepuff had always had a knack for being very knowing and observant, which was probably why she was so good at divination. Lina raised an eyebrow, but left it at that.

"Shall we head back to the common room? The party starts soon," Natty offered. "I also need to get out of this cold before I develop hypothermia."

"I second that," Poppy said, rubbing her upper arms and puffing her cheeks out. "Not everyone has their own walking talking personal furnace, y'know," she nodded towards Lina and Garreth. 

"Yeah, let's go." 

Four students walked back to the castle, orange light shooting through the sky ahead whilst the sun sunk below the turrets, bringing down with it the last hopes of warmth.