8 - White knuckles

Garreth and Leander found the two girl outside, swaddled in thick scarves and warm coats. They huddled together, waiting for the bonfire to be lit. Garreth crept up on Lina, grabbing her waist sharply, and she squealed, jumping a foot in the air.

"I think I've got heart palpitations," she huffed, repressing a smile. Natty gave her a knowing look as she raised an eyebrow, but Lina flashed her eyes as if to say 'don't bring it up, plus, you're wrong'.

Stars peppered the night sky, and when the bonfire whooshed up in flames, it diffused wavering mirages of heat up into the sky, blurring the starlight, and a crescent moon cast cool, silvery light onto their backs. Cheeks turned pink from the contrast of warmth and cold, and so did the tips of noses. The bonfire crackled and puffed out smoke, filling the air with the smell of hot coals and ash, which clung to clothes and hair.

"D'you want to come and meet my brothers?" Garreth asked. "They've just come back from Germany 'cause of work, and you probably won't be able to see them again any time soon."

The three of them nodded, and began to walk over to where a huge keg had been set up. Leaning against it were two men, drinking out of ceramic mugs. They looked similar to Garreth: they had the same freckles and green eyes, but theirs were sharper and wiser-looking.

"Aha, little brother!" One called out. "Long time no see, Gazza."

"Everyone, this is Fergus, and that's Will. They're my brothers," Garreth explained.

Lina shook hands with the latter, and noticed a jagged scar running down his cheekbone. It was pale and smooth in the dim light, the torn edges spread around like tree roots.

"I'm Evangeline. Me and Garreth are-"

"-Just friends?" Will finished. "Yeah, we've heard that one before," He laughed lightly. "Do you want some beer? We brought it in from Munich especially."

"Go on then," Lina replied, receiving a chipped porcelain mug full to the top with a golden drink, foaming at the top. It looked like butterbeer, but when she swallowed a mouthful a strange, bitter taste filled her mouth. She winced, forcing it down.

"It's what the muggles drink, but it gets better, I promise," Will told her. "Bit of a shock after drinking butterbeer for years, eh?" Lina could only nod in response, and true to his word, the beer did improve (but only slightly).

The night got colder and quieter, as more and more people turned in for bed. The many Weasley cousins apparated back home, and the light in Mr and Mrs Weasley's room turned off at eleven. This left the group of four sat on the close-cropped grass, watching the remains of the bonfire burn itself out, glinting like rubies.

Suddenly, a tiny light shot through the sky, before exploding into millions of coloured sparkles. A loud bang rippled towards them, and a devilish laugh followed it. Another firework was set off, whistling into the air before exploding, forming a star shape. Behind the four, the older Weasley brothers were lighting up rockets, sending them wailing into the sky.

Lina smiled silently as she sat, observing the firework display. Garreth's hand found hers, their fingers brushing. She froze, a pink flush spreading across the face, and she felt his pinky winding around hers. They sat like this for a while longer, skin rubbing against skin, two hearts becoming one, serotonin stealing the moment. 

"I'm heading off to bed now," Natty said, breaking the comfortable silence.

Garreth jumped, but didn't lose the contact with Lina's hand, tightening his grip on her finger.

"Yeah, I'll come with," Leander replied, hauling himself up off the grass. Lina and Garreth followed suit, walking a few paces behind.

Leander and Natty walked back towards the house, whispering to each other. "D'you see them?" He asked quietly, tilting his head towards Natty

"How they're not dating is beyond me."

Back in the house, Lina tossed in bed, her mind plagued with questions she couldn't answer. Her throat was dry and so were her thoughts, and eventually she decided that a glass of water would solve even just one of her problems.

Rolling out of the covers, she crept down the hallway and towards the stairs. She grabbed a cup and filled it with crisp, cold water. It ran down her throat in a stream, and gratefully chugged the whole glass in seconds. She refilled it and headed back upstairs. 

A/N: Listen to 'She Knows' by J.Cole here. Trust me.

As she walked down past the boys' room, she heard muffled whispers, her ears pricking up when her name was said. 

"I mean, you and Lina were awfully close earlier."

"Yeah, I know, but it was probably the amortentia anyway." What amortentia? she thought, pressing herself up against the wall next to the door. "Before you know it, she'll go back to normal."

Lina's thought flew through her head as though millions of golden snitches had been let loose in her brain. Amortentia? Back to normal? What were the boys on about? Her grip tightened on her cup of water, turning her knuckles white. 

"It could have worn off by now."

"Leander, I've been trying to get her to notice me like that for a year and a half now."

"Yeah, but at least something has changed."

"The reason that anything could've changed is that bloody love potion, and it feels wrong. I know it wasn't my fault, but I feel guilty."

Lina's jaw went slack. Love potion. Her. Garreth. Year and a half. Love potion. Sebastian and Ominis. How did they have anything to do with this? No. It couldn't be...

The liquid luck.

The sound of smashing glass filled her ears, and her hand was suddenly empty, but now not only her knuckles were white but her face had paled too. 

"Lina, what are you doing out here?"

Author's note:

I think Lina knows? Not sure tho. 🤷‍♀️