twenty eight

"how was i supposed to know busses didn't run before 7?" richie asked, yawning for the thirtieth time in bill's kitchen. stanley glanced at the clock and then back to the floor, pulling his shoes on.

"do you think it's okay we're leaving bill's door unlocked? i mean, did his parents ever come home?" stanley finally got his shoe on, grabbing his keys off the counter, slinging his jacket on, and waiting for richie.

"i don't think anyone's gonna break in between five thirty am and like... nine am. it's fine," richie stood up, still in bill's pajama pants. when he'd awoke, to stanley getting up, he hadn't bothered to find wherever he'd left his pants.

on the contrary, stanley had folded the pair bill had lent him, and it was sat nicely on the tv console. richie found it funny sometimes, the way stanley was anal about things.

"okay, okay, shit, i only have like, an hour," stanley hurried out of the kitchen, quiet through the living room of sleeping teenagers to the front door, richie slipping his phone in his back pocket and following behind.

as richie shut the door gently, he turned around to see stanley practically jogging to the edge of the driveway. he smiled stupidly and walked up to him, stanley motioning for him to hurry.

"isn't sneaking out just exhilirating, stan? feel that morning air!" richie stretched his arms out, though it was clear he was drowsy. he could feel the tiredness ache in his back, but he'd rather be walking stanley home than anywhere else.

"sorry you woke up. you could've gone back to sleep," stanley said, for the third time, as he kicked a rock down the sidewalk.

"i was serious when i said it's okay. i want to be here." richie replied, shoving his hands in his pockets. he cleared his throat, "it's funny that eddie snores in his sleep."

a laugh broke the sad look on stanley's face, still looking to the ground as he laughed. "i'm surprised his mom let him come, honestly," he said, abandoning the rock as it tumbled off the street. "thank you for, um, kinda forcing me to sneak out." stanley snuck a glance up at richie. richie was looking right at him.

and how could he not? when the sun wasn't even up, but still stanley was shining like a stupid comet. richie decided stanley was too pretty for his own good, sighing contently through his nose.

"i asked you twice, and you gave in," richie said, smiling from the corner of his mouth. "but, uh, you're welcome. you should do it more. i'll even wake up at five again, just for you to come with us." richie fiddled with his glasses, the bridge of his nose itching from the way they were sitting. stanley paused, then turned to cross the street, and richie followed blindly.

"i'll think about it." stanley said, tearing his eyes from richie. richie, with his glasses now properly sat on his face, watched stanley shrink back into his world, lost in his thoughts again.

richie yawned again. the sun peeked out from beyond the horizon.

twenty minutes later, richie paused in the middle of stanley's street, two houses or so away from stanley's. stanley turned around in confusion.

"this is where i say my farewell, staniel. can't be having the coppers catch me with the golden boy," richie saluted, winking as he did so. he adjusted his backpack strap. stanley's face dropped.

"oh my god, richie, i—jesus, how far do you have to walk? i totally forgot—you have to go home? fuck, i'm so sorry, you live so far—" stanley started to ramble, his hands at his mouth as he panicked, then over his eyes.

richie stepped forward, grabbing stanley's hands gently. he wasn't sure where the bravery had come from, but standing on the middle line of the street sure was helping. stanley stared at him, his eyes apologetic.

"it's fine. if i wanted to have walked home, i would've turned a long time ago." richie said, wondering when his voice became so gentle. he smiled, "i wanted to walk you home. i'll just... hang around the area until the busses start running. watch the sunrise." his voice was only a touch louder than a whisper.

"i'm so sorry.." stanley said again, glancing to his hands, wrapped in richie's.

"don't be." richie let go of them, looking away from stanley's pink cheeks for a moment. he put his hands in his pockets gently, looking back up to stanley, "i know what i'm getting myself into, especially when i'm with you. you know me. if i didn't want to, i wouldn't have. but i did."

stanley nodded, "thank you, then."

"anytime." richie then watched as stanley walked the rest of the way to his house, giving richie one last wave as he slowly opened his door. once the door was shut, he turned around, making his way back up the street.

he looked up, at the sky glowing from the incoming sunrise. he chewed on his lip, scuffing his shoes on the ground as he walked.

"i know what i'm getting myself into," richie repeated, mocking himself, "might as well tell him you want him," he dragged his hands down his face, underneath his glasses. he sighed through his nose, blinking a couple times.

before he turned, richie glanced back down the street. he wasn't sure why; there was no way he'd be able to see stanley from here unless he was on the front of his roof, and he wasn't. he could barely make out stanley's house. still, he felt his heart quicken as he turned.

the streetlamps began to shut off, the sun bright enough to light up the ground. richie rolled his eyes, "alright, i get it," he said, to nobody in particular.