2. Challenge Accepted

He was practicing swinging his dagger on a hanging bucket. It looked a bit strange. The bucket was too high for him to reach, so he looked awkward having to swing at it with one hand. I wanted to come out and say something. Help him maybe. After all, he looked about my age, and I felt terrible for him. He looked to be really struggling based on how skinny he was. Against my better judgment, I decided to stay hidden and observe for now. I know he's just a kid, but still. You never know.

I observed him for a few days, and while it wasn't such a long time, he improved considerably in that small amount of time. With each progression, with each animal kill, he looked more and more proud of himself, you could see the hope in his eyes. Like his will to survive has grown only that much stronger. I found myself feeling jealous. While, yes, I have somewhat of a will to survive, I wouldn't have survived this long if I didn't have one, he looked like he was ready to face the world head-on, without worrying about the consequences to come with it.

One day, he finally caught a rabbit, and his face showed joy. The kind of joy you find after only having despair for a long period of time. The kind of joy I've yet to find. He ran back to his makeshift campsite. He prepared the rabbit, almost like a pro, and cooked it over his fire. The fact that he can make a fire at his age already shows the kind of survival skills he already possesses. As I was watching him eat, I decided to go introduce myself to him. After all, it didn't look like he was the kind to just kill you on the spot. Plus he had food. Actual food. Something I haven't had in a while. I was still weary though. He did have his dagger right next to him.

I carefully stepped out of my hiding place. With the rustle of the leaves he quickly put down the piece of meat he was eating and grabbed his dagger pointing it at me. "Woah, Woah, wait a minute, I'm not here to hurt you! I'm a kid just like you!" Upon registering what I've said, his grip loosened a little, as well as his expression. "Who are you and why have you been following me the past few days!" Dang it, I thought I was being sneaky about it. Guess not. "My name's Y/n L/n. My parents were killed by Vikings, and I've been alone for a long time and I just wanted a friend. But I didn't want to just approach you, since I don't know you. But I don't have any bad intentions, I promise! What can I do to you anyways? I don't even have any weapons. Plus, even if I did, you'd probably beat me with all the practicing you're doing." He looked at me for who knows how long and finally decided that I wasn't a threat and put his dagger down.

"I guess you're right. My name is Thorfinn. Son of Thors." Son of Thors huh? Seems like I've heard that name before? Oh well, I'll figure it out later. " And I'm sorry about threatening you, but I didn't know who you were. I wasn't completely sure someone was following me. I thought for a second that I had gone crazy. You could get really better at doing that, sneaking around or following people I mean, if you practiced more."

"Thanks, I guess? I'm sorry if I scared you Thorfinn, but it's nice to talk to someone my own age. I haven't since... well anyways, it's good to have a friend again!" He gave me a strange look. "Oops! Sorry, um, we don't have to be friends if you don't want to, we could just be acquaintances!" I really wanted to be friends, but I'd settle for something just a little less at this point.

He suddenly flashed me a smile and exclaimed, "I'd like to be friends! It's also nice to talk to someone who isn't trying to kill me!" His smile was refreshing.

"How old are you by the way? You can't be younger than me." I looked at him. He has to be at least my age or older. There's no way he would've survived otherwise.

"I'm 6."

"What!?!" I stood up from where I had sat after he offered me to sit and made a funny expression apparently because that's when he began to laugh.