5. The pinky promise

Was I ready to die yet? No. 

However. In a world like this there's like a 90% chance you could die the next day, EVERY DAY. So, my (logical) thinking was, if I've survived this long, there must be a reason. Also, from what I remember, Askeladd wasn't the type to make hasty decisions. Most of the time. So hopefully he'll hear me out before he lobs off my head. Although the fact that his sword's halfway out already makes me think otherwise.

"I knew there was something different about you. I just couldn't tell what. You seem very intelligent, not only for your age, but also for the fact that you're a girl. Tell me, where are you from?" I could tell what he was trying to do right away. Trying to dodge my question with a question of his own. Said question also being one about my background. But I knew better.

"Listen. I don't want to drag this conversation out any longer than need be. I don't want Thorfinn to get suspicious."

"So, the boy doesn't know you're here."

"Yes, and if we keep talking about things that are off topic to the conversation at hand, it won't stay that way."

"The boy does seem to have a strange attachment to you for only knowing you a couple of weeks. Alright, ignore the question I just asked. Instead, answer me this. What do you want from me?" It took me aback a little to hear him ask that. I was sure he was going to ask why I knew his real name. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he didn't, but still.

I regained my composure and continued, " I want you to promise me protection, for myself and for Thorfinn, in exchange, I won't tell anyone about your true identity." It was a stretch by far. The show, it doesn't exactly explain how far each of Askeladd's men's loyalties go. For all I knew, they wouldn't care a single bit and this would all be for nothing. 

He took a while to stare at me, then his frown turned up and he took his hand off of his sword and stood to his full height. Wow. I forgot I was only 7 years old. This guy could literally step on me, without trying, and kill me.

"Alright. You've intrigued me. I promise that I won't let you or the boy die. But, on three conditions." Oh great, here we go. Wait, aren't I the one blackmailing you! This isn't how this is supposed to work.

"Hmmm. Fine. What are your conditions?" His smirk grew even wider and I knew right then that I was going to regret this.

"One. While I do promise to make sure you both don't die, I can't say the same about getting hurt or when I'm not around or not watching you two." That lowkey kind of defeats the purpose of this deal.

"Two. You two will continue following us for now like you've been doing. Try not to interact with any of my men for now. Integrate slowly, as to not raise suspicion. I don't want any of them to question why two kids are all of a sudden sharing our meals and our beds." Ok, so far these are fairly reasonable.

"And three." He paused and took another second to look down at me, like he was thinking. "In ten year's time, you will explain why and how you know my name. As well as why you're so intelligent. Those are my three conditions." WHAT? What in the actual hell! 

"Umm, what if I don't plan on staying with you guys for that long? I might have a family to get back to!" I didn't understand his thinking at all.

He just smirked and said, "Don't worry, you'll stay right by my side for the next ten years. And if you try to run, I will hunt you down and kill anyone that gets in my way." When he finished he had this weird smile on his face. Like he just answered the question that the teacher asked right.

"Umm, ok, but why ten years?"

"You'll be 17 in ten years correct?"

"Um, yes?"

"Well then, that's all I'm going to tell you, figure the rest out on your own." His smile widened. Oh hell no! He is not leaving me on a cliffhanger! (I am such a hypocrite because I literally do that to you guys all the time.)

"Ok, so, you need to promise alright?" I wanted to push the issue more but it was really beginning to get dark at this point and I didn't want Thorfinn to come look for me.

"A viking never goes back on his word. Isn't that good enough." It was more of a statement, as if to say, what more could you want from me?

"It's not enough for me. Here." I said, and stuck my pinky out. I know it's childish, but, I mean, you know. It's Askeladd! I want to see if he'll really do it.

"What are you doing?"

"It's called a pinky promise. You wrap your pinky around the other persons and swear on your life. You also have to chant a few words." He looked at me with disgust, but I just pushed my pinky further up to him. He finally bent down to my height and mumbled a , fine.

"Like this?" He said, with his pinky curled out.

"Yes. Now wrap it around mine." He did so and I shook it up and down, like you would a handshake, but pinky promise style. His pinky felt callused and was much larger than mine.

"Ok, now do and repeat after me, I promise not to let Thorfinn or Y/n die,..."

*Sigh* "I promise not to let Thorfinn or Y/n die..."

"Cross my heart and hope to die..." I said while using my index finger to make a x on my heart.

"Cross my heart and hope to die..." Surprisingly he copied me.

"And stick a needle in my eye!" I said the last part a little too dramaticlly, by pointing at my eye with my finger and jumping.

He just looked at me as if I was stupid. I thought he wasn't gonna repeat it after witnessing that.

He sighed and started to stand back up to his full height and muttered, "And stick a needle in my eye."

"There, it's official. If you break this promise, you will have a needle stuck in your eye. Same goes for me." I said.

He smiled. A genuine smile. But, as quick as it came, it quickly went away. He didn't say anymore as he started to walk around me and head back towards camp. Well, it's completly dark now, I need to go back to Thorfinn.

I wasn't in the forrest 5 minutes when something came running out of the bushes and crashed right into me.

"Thorfinn!"

"Y/n!" It's a good thing we found each other now. Don't know I would have explained the whole Askeladd thing if he had caught me while I was talking with him.

"Where have you been? It's dark! I was worried. I thought something bad had happened to you. ANd that I was all alone again." Oh Thorfinn. I just reached and gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry, I got lost after tailing Bjorn and it took me a while to start trying to find my way back." Hopefully he buys it.

"Oh," he pulled away from the hug, "wait, how do you know his name?" Crap.

"Oh, um, I remember over hearing Askeladd call him that before and although I wasn't sure he was referring to him specifically, I assumed it was him." PLEASE, buy what I'm selling!

"Yeah, now that you mention it, I think I've heard him call him that to."

"Alright well, it's getting late, let's head back and get some sleep." That's all I wanted to do right now.

"Sure, but first, promise that you won't put yourself in danger like that again." I was taken aback by what he said. It's really starting to feel like we're real friends.

"Sure, let's pinky promise." I said while holding out my pinky.

"Ok, but, what is that?" Here we go again.

And so, me and Thorfinn walked back to our little camp, while I explained what a pinky promise was for the second time that night.