6. First Kill

After returning to our makeshift camp, we started a fire and got settled for the night. Thorfinn was fiddling with a bone as I began to get ready to go to bed.

"Thorfinn? Don't stay up too late alright?"

He just looked over at me with an annoyed expression and said, "Yeah, Yeah." I turned my head back around and closed my eyes. Right as I was about to fall asleep, I heard a growl. All of a sudden, I was wide awake.

I sat up and looked at where the noise came from. A grey wolf was standing about 8 feet away. Crap.

"Hey, Thorfinn? What do we do?" I quietly whispered. "Just stay back." He said that as if a wolf wasn't about to eat us. He picked up his sword when the wolf started heading straight for us. I let out a scream, not a high-pitched one though. He swung the sword which made the wolf back up, but he was getting ready to come right back for us. "Thorfinn!" I quickly whispered when I noticed the wolf coming back for us. Then Thorfinn grabbed his dagger and stabbed the wolf in the neck. It painfully cried as it thrashed around to get off of his knife. Once it got off of it, the wolf backed up and began coughing up blood, before finally falling to the ground, succumbing to its injuries. Thorfinn was breathing heavily. He had blood all over his hands and his face. "Thorfinn? You okay?" I asked. He didn't say anything. He didn't even turn around. I decided not to ask again. I looked back to the wolf once more. In a way, I sort of felt bad for it. All it was trying to do was survive. Just like us. Those were my last thoughts before finally falling asleep from exhaustion. 

The next morning I awoke to a missing Thorfinn. I started to panic before I heard grunting not too far away. I followed the noise to find Thorfinn swinging his dagger at a bucket. He looked focused so I decided to just stay quiet and watch.

That's how it was for the next few days. He figured out that he could throw it as well, and began practicing that. During those times I would cheer him on and encourage him.

He just hit the tree with his dagger after failing multiple times. "Wow, Thorfinn! You get better each day!" I told him with a smile. He smiled back.

"Thanks Y/n. I'm going to train my hardest, so that way next time Askeladd and me fight, I'll beat him. Also, I want to be able to protect you." He said, looking at me. I didn't expect him to say that out of the blue, so I was at a loss for words.

"Don't worry about it Thorfinn, we can protect each other," I said finally. He just smiled and said, "Yeah, but, I don't want you to think I'm weak." He looked down. I took in his words. Then, I started laughing. "Hey! Don't laugh at me!"

"I'm sorry, it's just-don't worry, you'll defiantly become strong one day. Strong enough to protect me and beat Askeladd even." I told him that because he really will get strong. It also made me a little sad. In exchange for his strength, he loses the bright personality he has now. For 10 years, he goes on a warpath of revenge. It ends up consuming him.

We walked up to the vikings as they were getting ready to depart. Thorfinn was challenging Askeladd to a dual again. All I could do was think about how I can prevent Thorfinn from wasting his life. I know I said that I wouldn't interfere too much with the original timeline, but now that I've gotten to know Thorfinn, I don't want him to turn out as someone who has to live with the pain of killing others.

I was so consumed with my thoughts, that I hadn't even noticed that the duel was over. I looked over into Thorfinn's eyes and that's when I knew. I was already too late to stop him.

After coming to my realization, Thorfinn's expression only got more gloomy as the boat we were on rocked back and forth in the rain. The men were trying to rinse their hair, when one of them looked over to where Thorfinn and I were seated in a corner and said, "Hey kid, what are you doing sitting in the corner like that? Come over here." Thorfinn didn't respond. In fact, he didn't even acknowledge the man.