10. Wounded

I couldn't see very well from my position. I was still atop the hillside, with that short fat dude. His first in command seemed to be completely focused on the battle, while fatty here was just worried about whether or not he'd live to his next meal. Although it was difficult to see, I could just make out Thorfinn's glowing blonde hair waving amongst the soldier's helmets. Around him, there seemed to be many bodies. Suddenly, he made a leap over the moat surrounding the fortress. I was worried he wouldn't make it at first, but it seemed he did, and it was amazing. Both me and the guy next to me were starstruck. The guy next to me was fatty's first in command of course. 

After Thorfinn disappeared over the wall, I couldn't really tell what was happening. Although many lay dead in front of the wall on the opposing side, I can't say the same for the inside. I know Thorfinn's strong, but now that I think about it, he's never had to face as large a force as this before. It's left me with a sinking feeling.

~~~

By the time all of the soldiers on the opposing side were dead, a messenger had come from the army that went into the fortress on horseback to tell us the news. The translator guy stayed behind and translated what he said to me before he headed off to help with the wounded.

We won.

By the time the army made it to the heart of the stronghold, most of them were dead by that point.

I felt a breath I didn't realize I was holding come out. If we won, that most likely means that Thorfinn is alive. I heard the people around me rustling about, and eventually the first in command guy beckoned for me to follow. At first, I was hesitant, but when I realized that we were heading down to the fortress, I quickly followed. It was me and the guy with currently one eye walking side by side while fatty rode his horse alongside us. Way to be a gentleman.

I guess he noticed my glare and he said something, but I have no clue what it was. 

We finally made it to the gates of the fortress, the men of the army making us a path.

"I knew this fortress would be no match for my brilliant military strategy!" All I could do was look at fatso with a look of disgust, because, although I didn't know what he was saying, I had a feeling it was something deserving of disgust.

"Their commander was among those killed in battle. The survivors surrendered and said it was a child." The guy next to me said.

Ugh, where was that translator guy!

"It was the work of that brat? Never underestimate the work of an Armani. We allow them to leave now, they could turn against us." The guy atop his horse gave me a snide look, and I didn't like the bad feeling it gave me. His first in-command looked to me with an almost sympathetic look.

"How can we stop them?"

"They had to climb the mountains to get here. So they'll have to carry their ships to get back. That's our chance. A sailor on the shore is worth little more than a school of trout." He had a snide grin. Then he burst out with a disgusting laugh. I did not like where this was headed.

Then, suddenly, a guy from fatso's army came running towards us in a hurry.

In a hurry, and I followed them because my people were nowhere to be seen, if you even wanna call them my people, we seemed to be making our way to the treasury of the stronghold.

It was completely empty. I watched as fatso started to fall into despair. It was almost laughable. In fact, I nearly laughed till I heard Askeladd's voice.

"I must congratulate the leader of the Franks!" I was standing in the doorway to the treasury when I heard it, so I was the first one to turn around to see him and Bjorn and all of the others amongst the ships with all the treasure.