Chapter 23

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Todoroki turned his head at the sound. He sighed, standing up.

"Bakugo?" Todoroki raised an eyebrow, before his eyes glinted knowingly. Todoroki lifted his hand, flipping him off.

Bakugo scowled. "What did you want to tell me?"

–x–

Akira let out deep breaths, her eyes closed as she waited for Kenma to be done. Kenma nodded at her, and Akira's eyes fluttered open.

"Akira-san..." Kenma let out a deep breath. "You have a terminal illness. The cause seems to be from suppressing too many emotions. Negative, positive... You've suppressed them too much. At this rate, you could die young, coughing out blood till your death bed."

Akira froze.

::

"Itachi-nii... I finally found you." A fourteen year-old Akira stood in front of the S-rank Ninja, her eyes welling up with tears that wouldn't fall.

The Akatsuki member only looked on with apathetic, emotionless eyes.

"So it's you... Akira." His voice was devoid of emotion, except for the slight pause. The flicker of emotion that flashed through his eyes the moment he said her name. As if it strained him to let go of the previous warmth he would alway say her name with.

Akira looked away. That tiny flicker was all she needed.

"I know the truth. I know why you killed the Uchiha Clan."

Itachi only raised an eyebrow.

"As do I. It is knowledge that is common, and yet so uncommon. I did it to prove I could."

Akira shook her head.

"You did it to stop a coup. The Uchiha were tired of being mistreated... You and Shisui... right?" Akira questioned. "I saw the files. I read everything. Please, Itachi. Don't lie to me."

Itachi visibly flinched, before letting out an audible sigh. "You weren't supposed to know. No one was supposed to know. No one... except Lord Third... and the elders." He said the last part with distaste, a sour look in his eyes.

Akira smiled. "Don't worry, I made sure no one else knows... so... you can be yourself in front of me, Nii-san."

Itachi furrowed his eyebrows. "Akira... are you..." He bit his lip, eyes scanning her up and down. Without saying a word, he stepped forward, tugging Akira gently by the wrist.

Itachi wordlessly led her towards a small wooden house, dispelling layers of genjutsu around them as they walked closer. Akira looked around. There was not a trace of genjutsu, and yet, it would be impossible to approach the small place while in the genjutsu.

Itachi opened the door, and led Akira in, seating her on a three seater couch.

"Shisui and I built this... before he died. We planned to take you... but... after... his death, I... couldn't bring you here. I had to... you know, close off the world."

Akira looked around. The small house gave a homey feel, and looked well taken care of.

"I figured that... only you could recognize this genjutsu. You did notice, after all, as I was dispelling the layers. So... I completed it... and came here to clean it up, or sent a clone whenever I could. Akira... know... if anything, this is a safe place for you." Itachi's features softened, the unbreakable walls he built around himself opened up for Akira. "I never wished for the ugly burden of what really happened that night to fall on your shoulders, but now that you know, I feel a fraction of my burden lifted, and I'm glad. I'm glad I was able to take you here, and I'm glad you don't resent me. I'm glad you don't look at me with those pitiful eyes full of pain, all directed at me. I'm glad that now you know the truth, know you, no matter what happens, is, and will always be, my imouto."

Akira was crying now, salty tears blurring her vision. "I'm... so glad I found the truth. I'm so glad I was able to find you. Please, Itachi-nii, don't leave me again."

But even as she spoke those words, Akira realized her wish was one that was impossible, and 2 years later, she watched in horror as Itachi's lifeless body hit the ground.

Dead.