9

tw: none

after that eventful night with y/n and tom, they both decided to head home.

but as they were walking, someone approached them.

"polly!"

y/n turns around and smiles, "miles! fancy seeing you here."

the man nods, returning the smile, "i agree," he looks at tom, "ah, this might be tom, the man you kept mentioning during our conversations."

now it was tom's turn to nod, " 'tis i."

y/n laughs, "yes, this is tom. tom, this is miles, my friend."

tom eyes miles suspiciously before extending an arm out, "pleasure to meet you, miles...?"

"fairchild, miles fairchild," miles shakes his hand, "and the honor is all mine, tom-"

"-riddle," he suddenly says, cutting him off, "tom riddle."

"hm," miles begins, "a riddle. i've heard many things about you and your family. great history."

"good i hope," he chuckles as miles nods, "very. everyone speaks about your heritage."

"is that all they talk about when it comes to my family?" miles shakes his head, "oh, no no. others speak about the magnificent events your family hosts. that along with the fact all riddles are amazing dancers."

tom smiles with a nod, "they said it came from my great-great-grandfather."

"speaking of dancing, did you enjoy the ball? i didn't see you."

"i was chatting with some guests. but yes, i enjoyed the ball, i'm glad polly and i were each other's last dance," he says, his grip on y/n's arm slightly tightening, making her wince a bit.

"loosen it," she whispers to him, slight annoyance visible in her voice. tom lets go of her arm and fixes his posture.

but this doesn't go unnoticed by the young fairchild. he clears his throat, "mhm, polly's a great dancer. she's very graceful," tom stiffly nods taking note of the way he was looking at y/n, "indeed she is."

tom looks around before checking his watch chain, "it's getting late. polly and i must go. goodbye, miles," tom announces as he turns around, his arm grabbing y/n's in the process.

"wait, hold on now. i have one question," his voice stops them.

tom sighs and turns back around, "yes?" he tried to sound polite.

"i noticed polly kept staring at lord tewkesbury. by any chance, does she know him personally? her face seemed...afraid."

it was silent for a moment, the two men were having a staring contest.

"we're old friends," y/n says, catching their attention, "we drifted, so i was quite nervous seeing him again."

you're such a strange girl

"does that answer your question?" tom impatiently questions as miles looks at y/n.

i want to be with you

miles nods, "yes, thank you," he gently grabs y/n's hand and kisses the back of it, "it was lovely to see you again."

you're such a strange girl

tom clears his throat, "alright, we will be heading home now. again, goodbye, fairchild." he repeats as he leaves with y/n.

the way you look like you do

"pleasure is all mine," miles replies even though he knew that they most likely didn't hear him.

you're such a strange girl

he smiles.

i want to be with you