Setsunai

It was still January, but this time Ben was back in Vanya's apartment.

There was a note on her fridge about a therapy appointment.

He seriously considered going, because it would be nice to talk to a non family member for once... but it would be too big of a risk, wouldn't it?

Therapists were, like, experts at reading people.

Better not to, Ben decided.

He was tempted to just stay in Vanya's apartment, but he also... he really wanted to check in on Five.

So, just like the first time he woke up in her body, Ben got a cab ride to the Academy.

When he walked in through the front door, he found a house in pure chaos. He heard the yelling before he saw anyone. It was Five.

"You fucking asshole!" Five was screaming. "You god damn pervert!"

Klaus was laughing.

Ben tip toed into the living room and saw Five standing on top of a coffee table, absolutely shaking with rage.

"Fuck you," Five said. "I don't have to take this."

Behind Five, a movie was playing. Some sort of cartoon.

And on the couch...

"Um, can you try to calm down?" a teenage boy said. "It was just a joke-"

"You're taking his side?!" Five said, looking angrier than Ben had ever seen him. "How can you take his side!"

The boy shook his head, "No, I just-"

"Vee!" Klaus said, sitting up and turning to smile at Ben. "How ya doin'?"

Five finally glanced towards Ben and frowned, "I thought you had an appointment today."

"Uh," Ben said. "Um."

The boy, the... the Asian boy... he gave Ben a smile, "Did you decide to play hooky?"

Ben blinked at him.

"Don't be mean, Benny," Klaus said. "If she wants to blow her therapist off, that's her right as an American citizen."

"Vanya?" Five said. He teleported off the table, closer to Ben. "Are you alright?"

"Um, yes," Ben said. He couldn't stop staring at the boy.

"Did something happen?" the boy said.

"Oh?" Klaus said. "What kind of somethin'?"

Ben was speechless.

Five poked him in the shoulder. "Vanya?"

"Huh?"

"Are you... malfunctioning?" Five looked worried. "Was I yelling too much? I didn't know you'd be coming today. Sorry."

Before Ben could come up with a lie, Luther walked in. He smiled at everyone and said, "What're you guys watching?"

Ben Hargreeves, alive and seventeen, shrugged at Luther and said, "It's an anime."

"I'm never watching another anime for the rest of my life," Five said. "Japan is full of perverts!"

"Don't be like that!" Klaus said. "Their culture is rich and colorful!"

"Um," Luther said. "But what's it about?"

He sat down on the couch next to Klaus.

Ben felt like he was watching a movie, himself.

A movie of his own life, which was playing without him.