Oh, Playmate, How I Want Your Smile

•Y/N: Your Name

——————————————————
____________________________________
Author's POV:
____________________________________

——————————————————____________________________________Author's POV:____________________________________

____________________________________

     Heavy. He felt so heavy. So heavy, in fact, that he hardly had the will to shift his tail across the sand he had partially buried himself under. He waited and he waited, each minute passing by longer than the last as his fingers played with the minerals to keep himself busy. It felt so dark and lonely in his new nest. Flaring his gills in a sort of sigh, Neil forced himself across the sea floor, letting the sand roll off his back and tail, to a rock formation where he propped himself up and laid his head in his arms.

During the night, his scales had dulled as they had once before, starting to form grey spots amongst the patterns of black and blue. It had hardly been a day since Y/N had left him there, but already, he was feeling the effects of being away from her. It was strange. Merfolk tended to be solitary creatures, but when it came to their mates, they longed to be at each other's sides more than anything. Being so far away from her felt like a tear in the heart, like a piece of him had disappeared.

He wondered if he should check on the sun's location to tell if she would be coming around soon, and just as the thought crossed his mind, he heard the familiar roar of an engine. His scaled face lit up with joy as he went to check it out, fighting past the aches of the physical effects of his depression to shoot through the water and peer out the entrance of the grotto. Looking up, he beamed at the sight of the belly of a boat that looked to be the right size as Y/N's. It just had to be hers.

'Y/N's back! Y/N's back!' He cheered, swimming in excited circles under the shadow of the boat. If he had the ability to cry, his cheeks would've been soaked with tears of relief.

'She didn't leave me! My mate! My mate! She's here!' The life struck back into him as he shot upwards towards the vehicle, unable to wait any longer after the motor had stilled. His speeds didn't slow, even as he reached the surface, causing him to rocket out and over the small boat in a graceful leap, nearly scaring the poor woman to death as she held the brim of her sunhat to protect herself from the falling droplets of water that fell from his figure. Y/N let out an amused giggle when she looked overboard to find the merman swimming circles around her while singing a chorus of chirps and trills in greeting. She had never heard him so chatty.

"Y/N here!" Awing at him, his desired mate watched as he took ahold of the boat to hoist himself up enough to lean on it with his elbows while wearing a great, big grin to show how happy he was to see her.

  "I told you I would come back." Neil's chest felt lighter as she leaned over to pet his cheeks, giving the woman a delighted purr as he melted within her tender grip. He had missed the warmth of her dearly. "Did you find me a shell like I asked?" She questions as she slicked his mess of black hair away from his face. At that, his eyes widened because of his forgetfulness before he quickly pulled away to dive back under in search of the treasure he found for her last night, leaving Y/N to shake her head with a smile. Inside his cave, Neil searched frantically for the gift, combing over the sand and weaving around rocks, feeling more distressed when he couldn't remember the spot he had placed it in. Suddenly, he was cursing the place for being so big. Fortunately, he was able to find it, and as soon as it was snatched in his webbed claws, he brought it up to the surface before tossing it into the boat. Due to not receiving prior warning, she fumbled the brown and white, cone-shaped shell but thankfully, didn't drop it, nor was it cracked from her clumsy catch.