Sandcastles

•E/C: Eye Color

Your POV:

"Neil, I have a surprise for you," I say excitedly while passing through the door that leads into the cave, unable to contain the smile on my face. The merman pops his head out of the water and gives a chirp in greeting before swimming up to the edge of the pool, near where I stand. He watches with interest as I drag in a few large bags into the room, making small clicking sounds.

"I bought you some sand for the bottom of your pool," I explain while cutting one open with a pair of scissors I grabbed from upstairs. Currently, all that lies at the bottom of the pool is rock, and, though Neil rarely stays that low in the water, I thought he'd like this little touch. It might remind him of the ocean. Perhaps it'll get him used to the idea of going back to live there one day? With difficulty, I tilt the heavy sack on its side to spill it into the water.

Neil swims back some to observe the minerals clouding the clear water as they sink to the bottom. I do my best to spread around the contents of the bags into the pool and smile when I see him dive to sift through the white sand with his fingers. Seems like he's happy with the new addition to his habitat. Once I'm satisfied with the amount I poured into the pool, I go over to another bag I brought with. This one is full of the shells I cleaned out of the floor of my boat after the shark incident. Neil's eyes seem to light up upon seeing the pretty objects, but tilts his head when I pour them into his pen. I'm left surprised when he dives in and resurfaces with all of them in his arms. He sets them at my feet before giving a high-pitched chirp and a toothy smile. I kneel down close to the creature and tilt my head some.

"What's wrong? Don't you want them in the water with you?" Neil shakes his head before picking a small cockle shell from the pile. He reaches out and grabs ahold of my hand before turning my palm to face up. The shell is set on my hand before he forces my fingers to close over it. The male then purrs by rolling his tongue as he pushes my hand towards my chest. I look down at the shell after he pulls away.

"You want me to have them?" The merman nods with a small smile forming on his lips. I smile back and lean forward a bit to plant a gentle kiss on his forehead. He's very thoughtful. Neil lifts a hand to where my lips had touched and softly traces the spot with his fingers.

"Thank you, Neil. That's so sweet." The creature stares at me with his black eyes while using his arms to lift himself up onto the ledge and surprises me by copying my actions. I sit there, frozen by the kiss he gave, as he nuzzles his head beneath my chin affectionately. He's always been affectionate to some degree, but this was a little out of the ordinary. I run my fingers through his wet hair nonetheless, which causes him to purr. The creature tugs at my shirt to usher me into the water, making me smile. I grab his webbed hands and nod to show I understand before standing up. He swims circles, while I strip myself of my striped shirt and jean shorts to reveal the swimsuit underneath. I then remove my socks and shoes before walking into the shallow end of the water from the stairs.

 I then remove my socks and shoes before walking into the shallow end of the water from the stairs