Sweet Epiphany

•Y/N: Your Name
•F/N: Father's Name

Your POV:

I can't help but giggle when a wave of water washes over me after Neil slapped his large tail against the surface of the water when he dived. We had spent a few minutes mourning my father until the merman had decided to cheer me up by playing in the water. I was glad to see his mood lift so soon, and I was happy to have a distraction. I yelp in surprise when my wrist is snatched from the water as he surfaces again, pulling me onto his stomach as he floats on his back. He releases a high pitch chirp to state his happiness as his arms wrap around my body to keep me pressed up against his built chest.

I chuckle and allow him to hold me for as long as he likes. Normally, if a guy had done that to me, I'd probably get upset and hit them upside the head, but Neil is different. He's not human and doesn't completely understand the concept of personal space. Not to mention, after all that's happened, the hug had felt nice for me. After a few minutes, he lets me slip off of his scaly stomach and into the pool.

I sigh softly as I float on my back, just staring at the beautiful ceiling. I'm all Neil has now. Only I can take care of and research him. It makes me wonder... Is this right? Should I really keep him here? I mean, we did put a lot of work into this place to make it a perfect spot for Neil to live, and he seems to like it, but he doesn't actually belong here.

'Maybe I should take him back to the ocean? I think that'd be best for him. I mean, what's going to happen if I die and he's left all alone in this place? He'll starve and feel neglected.' The thought made my heart clench. I didn't want to think about it, but it couldn't be helped. I hear a soft coo from my side and turn my head to see Neil watching me with worry in his big eyes. I give the merman a smile, which he returns before circling me. I let my smile fall then.

'I'll keep him for a few more weeks to finish up our research. I'm sure 13 years worth is enough. He deserves to be free.' I giggle when Neil swims under my arm, wrapping it around his shoulders before nuzzling against my neck. I slip away and swim back to the steps to get out of the water. I've been in here for awhile now, and my limbs are starting to get sore. Besides, I should be heading home. Before I can leave the pool, however, I'm pulled back by two strong arms that wrap around my torso. I collide with Neil's chest when I'm dragged back into the water. I'm held tight with little room to escape. I look over my shoulder to look at the merman.

"Neil, what are you doing?" A soft giggle escapes me when I feel his black hair tickle my face as he nuzzles against my neck and shoulder. He then lets out a soft whimper in reply.

"Do you want me to stay longer?" I ask, unsure. He's never done this before. Usually, if he wants me to stay, he'll tug at my clothes or pull my limbs, not fully hold me. I feel his head move up and down to respond, causing me to sigh.

"It's getting late but... I suppose it won't hurt. I don't really want to go home yet anyway." I spoke the truth. If I went home, I'd be alone. At least here I have someone to be with. Neil gives a thrilled chirp before releasing me and swimming around my legs. He then grabs my hand and pulls me into the deeper part of the water to continue playing. I end up spending hours there without even realizing it. It wasn't until I began to feel sleepy that I noticed how late it must've gotten. I give a small yawn while lifting myself to sit on the ledge of the pool.

"Okay, Neil, it's time for me to go home now," I say while squeezing out the water from my hair. I hear him whimper, but I know I shouldn't stay much longer. I pick up my clothes from the floor and walk towards the door to leave. I stop in my tracks, however, when I'm splashed with a large amount of water and gasp. I drop my soaked clothes and shake my hands to rid myself of some of the water. I turn around and find the merman pouting at me like a child while holding onto the edge of the pool. I give a soft sigh and lean against the door with crossed arms.

"I can't stay here all night. I have to go home at some point." I hear the male growl before he lowers his head to hide his mouth and nose behind the pool wall. I lower my arms and look at him with a soft gaze.

'Maybe he doesn't want to be left alone after what's happened?'

"All right, all right, you win. Give me a minute, okay?"

Neil lifts his head and grins victoriously when I bend down to pick up my wet clothes. I head upstairs and drape the articles over the curtain rod in the bathroom so that they can dry before toweling off. I then look around to see if my dad had left any of his clothes lying around somewhere. He would often spend his nights here, so I imagine he does. I got lucky, finding a royal blue t-shirt and grey, drawstring shorts.

After changing into them, I go back to the cave where Neil chirps happily at my return before swimming around in circles. I click my tongue back at him before heading to the supply closet where the air mattress is kept. While it inflates, I snag another fish from the small pool for Neil's dinner and throw it into his pen. The animal is devoured by the time it's done. I position the mattress close to the pool so that I can be close to the merman before resting on it.

I leave the light on, since it's dim enough to fall asleep in and I don't want to wander around a pool in the dark. Neil lets out a purring sound from his throat as he swims to the ledge to be close by. I give the aquatic male a smile before stretching out my arm to run my fingers through his black hair. He gives a light chirp as I close my eyes. Eventually, my hand falls limp, and I feel another upon it.

"Goodnight, Neil."

Neil's POV:

I release a soft coo as Y/N drifts off to sleep. I could sleep too, but it doesn't take as long for me to feel rested. All I have to do is shut my eyes for a few minutes to feel energized again. Back when I lived in the big waters, sleeping is the time I'm most vulnerable, so it was mandatory to keep moving. Even though I know I'm safe in this place, I still have the same sleeping habits as before.

I like it here. Sure, the big waters were my home for the longest time and full of interesting creatures, but, here, I don't have to worry about being challenged or going hungry. I'm not alone either, since I have Y/N and F/N to keep me company. I've learned so much about humans from them... But, wait. My eyes grow dim.

'F/N is dead now, so that means... She's all I have left.' I whimper softly and grip the female's hand tighter.

'I'm sure she'll stay with me,' I assure myself. In my years here in this rock nest, I've gotten to know both a male and female human; one young, one old; a daughter and father. I learned how their family operates, well, somewhat. I remember there was a time when they referred to me as a member of their family, but neither are of my kind, and that I don't understand. We do not share blood. In a way, I'm glad we don't. Our families don't take care of each other like they do, well, unless we're mates that is. I can no longer learn things from that man. Now, all that remains is my playmate, Y/N. I smile serenely as I look at her.

Y/N has to be my favorite human.

Had she been the same species, I would've loved to mate with her. She's so kind and caring to me. Such a shame.

'I wish you were more like me.' I huff wistfully. Such a thing couldn't happen, for she is human, a beast with legs and no gills. A frown falls on my lips as I focus on massaging the soft, squishy skin of her hand. It feels so different compared to my tough, scaly flesh. Then, it came to me.

'Why should it mater what we are? She's still female. What difference does it make? Why shouldn't she be my mate?' I get excited by the thought. And, besides, who would care? I like Y/N more than anything in the world! Who wouldn't? We've known each other for a long time, and I've heard no mention of her having a mate already. There's still time. My heart's beating became quick as I lift myself out of the water with ease. I rest my head on the human's odd sleeping device while keeping my black and blue tail submerged in the clear liquid to keep from dehydrating. I reach out my hand to touch her face, being careful not to mark her with my sharp nails. She has such beautiful features. I could only hope that she'll share my thoughts on becoming partners.

'We'll be perfect together.'