Father Roxto

She comes back home to her favorite boys. It warms her heart.
__________

"Roxto, why did sister have to go away?"

"She had tsahik training, Me'em. She'll be back."

The little boy whines, hiding his face in the older boys neck. Like he often did with his sister.

"I want her back."

"Me too, 'Em. But we have to wait."

The boy sniffles in response. Roxto caresses his head, rocking him back and forth.

"Shh, it's okay. She'll be back."

He lets the boy cry, his whispering reassurances the whole time. He never told him to stop, listening to him when he tried talk through his tears.

When he stopped, Roxto tried to reveal his face, only for the boy to shake his head in defiance.

"Can I see my boy?"

"Mm-mm."

"No!? I can't see my favorite boy!?"

"No!"

Me'em's voice was muffled, still hiding in his neck. But he could tell the the younger boy was smiling.

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm!"

"What if I do this!?"

Roxto tickles his side, causing the boy to squeal. His giggled, trying not to reveal his face as he tried to get Roxto to stop.

"Still not cooperating, huh? We'll see about that!"

Roxto's hands went to the boys pits. Me'em's head finally shot up as he squealed. Loud enough for an elder's head to pop in. Roxto's grandmother. Not that the boys noticed.

"There he is! There's my boy!"

"No!"

"No!? What do you mean no!?"

Roxto smiles widely as the boys jumps out of his arms.

"No!"

"Come back here, you little-"

"Eek! No more!"

The little one ran around the mauri, trying to get away from the boy. The woman smiled at the sight, before leaving the boys alone. Hours later, the boy laid in Roxto's arms, staring at the ceiling.

"Roxto?"

"Yes?"

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Roxto never thought about it. The clan said that he was their best diver, a good hunter, and good weaver. A good provider. But all he could see in his future was you. You'd still be teaching the future children, healing those who need it, helping mothers deliver their children, creating clothing for the clan, weaving nets and baskets. And he'd be there every step of the way.

"I don't know. All I do know is that I want to be with your sister."

"Forever?"

"Forever."

"Are you going to be with me forever too?"

"Yeah. You're my favorite boy after all."

The boy hummed, smiling.

"Roxto?"

"Yes?"

"I wanna be a singer when I grow up."

Roxto smiles at the boys confession, patting his head.

"You will be the best singer, Me'em."

"Is that too girly?"

"No. It's perfect."

"How?"

"Because it's you. It's your passion. Never let anybody tell you that it's not."

The boy smiled. He did that a lot when he was with him and his sister. They were all the family he had left. He was glad. The boy rests on the teens chest, breath slowing.

"Thank you, Roxto."

"Always, Me'em."

She found them minutes later, cuddling on the floor. She covers her mouth, eyes watering. Her beautiful boys.

"They had fun today,"

It was his grandmother.

"I had to check on them. Me'em was squealing so loud that I thought that something was wrong."

She acknowledged her words, still smiling at the boys.

"Good night, child."

"Good night."

She walks in, closing the makeshift window curtains and closing the marui. She drapes a cover over the two. She goes to walk away, when a hand grabbed her wrist. Roxto stares at her, eyes lidded and filled with love.

"Hi, yawne."

"Hello, yawntu. I heard you had fun today."

"Mhm."

He shifts the boy to the other side of his chest, tugging at her arm.

"Lay with us,"

She did. Me'em shifted, waking up slightly. She kisses her brothers head, causing him to fall back asleep.

"Goodnight, sister. Goodnight, daddy."

Roxto's eyes widen at the sleeping boy, before looking at his mate. Her eyes watering as she stared back. Roxto begins to cry silently, smiling all giddy. She cups his face, kissing him.

"You'd make a good father."