One Breath

you and your boys show the Omatikayans how love can be shared.
__________

"Bye bye, sister!"

Me'em goes to run off, before pausing. He turns around quickly, jumping into her arms. He presses his forehead and nose against hers, closing his eyes. Their breathing sync up and their bodies relax. He pulls away and reaches for Roxto, who was behind her. Roxto does the same, just for a shorter amount of time.

She sets the boy down as he runs towards the young singers. The two, along with the Sully's, Tsireya, and Ao'nung, wave as he leaves.

"What was that?"

Neteyam asked curiously. The Metkayina children look at the boy confused.

"What was what, forest boy?"

"The forehead thing you guys did."

The 4 blink, before looking at each other. Roxto gives his mate a silly confused look. She chuckles, and goes to explain.

"It's just a way we express our love. It's all about sharing your breath. Your breathing becomes one as you enjoy their presence. It can be used as goodbyes, hellos, or just wanting to feel your loved ones heart."

"Their heart?"

Tuk tilted her head in confusion. Roxto chuckles, picking up where she left off.

"Yes. When you share another's breath, your bodies sync. Your breathing slows if the other is calm. It's a way to feel emotion with your loved ones without tsaheylu."

The Sully teens blush awkwardly at the mention of tsaheylu, but listen intently. Ao'nung sighs at the discussion.

"Boring! Can we go now!?"

"You're just mad because you don't have a mate to breath with."

Ao'nung gapes at his sister, clearly betrayed. Roxto chuckles at his friend, hands wrapping around his mates waist as he stood behind her. He rests his chin on her shoulder as her hands grip his arms gently. Ao'nung glares at him at the motion.

"Oi! Don't rub it in, Toto!"

At his childhood name, he raises a brow.

"I'm not, ugly. You'd have a mate if you weren't so worrisome."

Ao'nung glares at him, then smirks. Roxto caught on, his grip leaving his mate as he pointed at his best friend.

"Ao'nung, no!"

He only stepped closer, tail whipping wildly and playfully behind him.

"Don't, man! I'm serio-"

Ao'nung tackled him into the water violently. Tsireya rolled her eyes, looking at the amused girl. She then turned to the Sully's.

"I guess we're going swimming."

For the rest of the day, that's where they were. On the same shore as always. Ao'nung and Neteyam were wrestling, Lo'ak getting dragged into bracelet making by his sisters and Tsireya, and Roxto swimming peacefully as his mate watched.

He swims up to the rock she sits on, his upper body shooting out of the water. He leans in his crossed arms, gazing at her lovingly.

"Hey, handsome."

He blushed, but his gaze never wavering.

"Do you want to swim with me?"

She smiled softly, before nodding. She grabs his hand before they dive down. She let's go as she swam circles around him as he swam forwards. After 3 more loops, she grabs both of his hands, swimming backwards as she stared. She could stare at him for hours, but he gets a little shy sometimes. But not today, it seems.

He tugs her toward him, stopping her movement. His hands go to her hips and he smiles sheepishly at her. Catching on to what he wanted to do, she places her hands on his upper arms. They lean in, foreheads and noses touching. They close their eyes as they felt their heart beat in unison. Fish and ilu swim around them, but they paid no mind to that. All they felt was each other. And that was enough.

The Sully's and the two Metkayina siblings watch. Tsireya turns towards the family, signing.

"That's one breath. It means love and can be intimate. You can tell that they love each other."

And they did. More than anyone could know.