Brother

Sleep is a strange thing. Temporarily Y/n could forget the realities of his world, and wake up without burning emotions and terrible memories. But that sick feeling in his gut would not leave him. 

He slept throughout the Sunday dawn until his phone began buzzing on his desk. He threw off his blanket and trudged toward the phone and picked it up.

"Real nice Y/n."

It was Shuu's voice.

"What?" Y/n muttered into the phone.

"It's real convenient, isn't it? Shikimori's all alone now huh?"

"..."

"And like the vulture you are, you didn't miss the opportunity to be a knight in shining armor. You had no right to look Shikimori in the eyes after that."

"I'm gonna hang up."

"Oh yeah. Run away Y/n. I'm gonna find out what happened to Izumi, because I know you had something to do—"

Y/n hung up. 

He couldn't understand what was happening anymore. His small world had been popped, and flipped upside down all at once.

And then he truly felt lonely. 

He realized that he was okay if things had never changed. If Izumi had never left then things would be ok. He would be okay with living that life. A life where there was a place to go—to his friends.

_____

"I'm heading out mom!" Shuu shouted into his house.

"Okay!" his mom shouted back.

He slipped into his shoes and stepped out into the clouded sky. The air around him had an uncomfortable warmness and humidity. Shuu closed the door behind him, and tightly tucked a notebook under his arm. It was Izumi's science notes that he lent to Shuu a while back.

He planned to give back it earlier, but it was too late. Shuu clenched the notebook in his hands tightly. Now this was all he had left of Izumi.

As Shuu walked he recalled fragments of memories he had with Izumi. Like protecting Izumi from a volleyball flying through a window, Shikimori getting jealous of him, and Shikimori accidentally calling him 'Nii-san.'

He bitterly smiled at the memories. Izumi must have the worst luck for dying like that, he thought.

Shuu started to walk a bit slower. "Oh god..." tears formed in his eyes. "Why?"