New Year, Same Season

2 years later, after the death of Izumi...

(Y/n) had grown. Everybody did. He was still the same tired, reserved, and tough boy, but at least he could smile a little more. But that didn't mean his life was better.

After his mother's breakdown, his spirit broke. He couldn't feel anything toward himself. No pity, no sadness, no love. He refocused on his studies got a job at a small coffee shop, and became another mechanical cog in the amalgamation of society.

By being his own, lonely man, he became more isolated. Shuu, Shikimori, Kyou, and Yui had all taken different roads because they couldn't deal with Izumi's passing. 

I ruined something special... (Y/n) would always think. The thought made him more blank and empty with every passing day. It felt like he had forcefully torn off the good ending to a novel.

"(Y/n)?" his coworker, Rika Isana, poked his shoulder. "You okay?"

Rika was a pretty flower and a warm fire to stand by. "Yeah," Rahaj said bluntly.

Rika stared at (Y/n) with her big, dreamy eyes. Where did he recognize those eyes from...? Ah yes... Shikimori.

"Take a break," she finally smiled. "You've done a lot."

"...Thank you... Insana-san."

"Oh and also there was a customer outside saying they were looking for you."

"Really? Who?"

Rika shrugged. "No idea. He said he was your friend."

Rahaj raised a brow at her, before exiting the coffee shop's back room and meeting Shuu's eyes across the counter. "Inuzuka?" (Y/n) stared at him.

"Hey..." Inuzuka smiled at him awkwardly.

"Uh..." (Y/n) was at a loss of words.

"Yeah..."

It was evening, and yellow hues shone through the glass doors. Inuzuka looked around before meeting (Y/n)'s eyes again. "Got a job, huh?" he snickered. "That's unlike you."

"Is it? ...Oh yeah it is."

Inuzuka paused. He wanted to get the heavy words out of his mouth, but he couldn't. "...So... how's life?"

"It's alright."

"Who was that girl earlier?"

"My coworker. You can ask her name by yourself."

"I will." Shuu chuckled. "...How have you been dealing with stuff?"

"Like always."

Shuu looked around. "...You should um... you should take it easy on yourself."

(Y/n) stared at him carefully. "What do you mean?"

Shuu scratched the back of his neck and looked down. "Like... don't take any pressure or sadness from anything because... really... it's not your fault."

Then, (Y/n)'s expression slowly relaxed. "I got it, now."

Shuu looked down at the floor ashamed. "...I'm sorry."

"It's nothing."

(Y/n) and Shuu stood in awkward silence. "Have you... talked with Shikimori...ever since?" Shuu asked.

"No..."

"I see." Shuu looked up at the ceiling. "So, have you thought about college?"

"Yeah. I'm going abroad to the U.S."

His eyes widened slightly. "...U.S.? Why?"

"Japan's just not the place for me I guess." Y/n shrugged.

"Hey, Y/n..."

"Yeah?"

"I just realized how terrible of a friend I've been," Shuu sighed. "I've never taken you to any Japanese festivals have I?"

Y/n looked at the wood floor and scratched his neck. "Yeah."

"I'll take you to the autumn fireworks festival."

"...Wait seriously?" he looked back up.

"Yeah of course," Shuu smiled. "Shikimori and the others will probably be there, too."