Chapter One

"Many years ago, within the kingdom of Askia, dwelled King Richard, a just and passionate ruler. Residing within the castle walls were his beloved wife, Amelia, and their two sons, Nicholas and Baltimore. The royal family enjoyed a harmonious existence, with King Richard ruling over the kingdom dutifully. However, tragedy befell the kingdom when Amelia succumbed to illness, plunging the king into deep grief. The entire realm mourned the loss.

As time passed, the moment arrived for King Richard to determine his successor. The king wanted his successor to earn the throne, so he sought the counsel of his trusted royal advisor on how to test the princes. The wise advisor proposed the idea of a quest-a journey to the mythical 'Cave of Rings' in search of a powerful ring held by the enigmatic 'Master of the Rings.' Legend had it that this ring bestowed extraordinary powers upon its wearer. King Richard summoned his sons and unveiled his plan, entrusting Nicholas with an aged and creased map that purportedly led to the cave.

While Nicholas felt hesitant about the quest, Baltimore exuded unwavering confidence. Secretly harboring ambitions to outshine his brother, Baltimore was determined to prove himself superior. On the day of their departure, King Richard's hopes appeared to favor Nicholas, a fact that left Baltimore disgruntled.

The princes embarked on their journey, encountering a formidable creature along the way-a manticore. This fearsome beast, possessing the head and body of a lion, the wings of a bat, and the tail of a scorpion, blocked their path and launched an attack. The brothers valiantly defended themselves, until Nicholas noticed something peculiar. Urging his brother to halt, Nicholas approached the manticore cautiously. The creature raised its paw, ready to strike, but Nicholas, in an act of empathy, swiftly removed a thorn lodged in its paw. The manticore yelped, soothingly licked its paw, and granted them passage, leaving Baltimore astounded by his brother's compassion.

Pressing onward, they reached a treacherous bridge, constructed with termite-infested wood that seemed poised to crumble under the weight of a step. With careful deliberation, Nicholas became the first to cross, successfully reaching the other side unscathed. Gesturing for Baltimore to follow, the bridge gave way beneath him, threatening to send him plummeting into the depths below. In a desperate bid, Nicholas grasped his brother's wrist, preventing his fall and pulling him to safety. The brothers stared at each other, now standing before the entrance of the Cave of Rings.

Entering the cave, they confronted a tall figure-The Master of the Rings-garbed in flowing white attire. With long, silvery hair cascading down to his waist and a beard of equal brilliance reaching his stomach, the enigmatic figure revealed his knowledge of their identities and desires. In order to obtain a ring, The Master declared that the brothers must engage in a duel. Initially, Nicholas adamantly refused to fight his own flesh and blood, but The Master insisted that without a duel, neither of them would claim a ring. After much contemplation and Baltimore's persuasion, Nicholas reluctantly drew his sword.

The brothers clashed in a fierce battle, their swords intertwining with flashes of steel. Eventually, Nicholas made a conscious decision to let Baltimore emerge victorious, much to Baltimore's elation. Finally achieving his long-awaited triumph, Baltimore believed he had secured the throne of Askia. Yet, when the time came for the ring to be bestowed, The Master of the Rings astounded them both. Recognizing Nicholas' purity of heart and worthiness, he chose to grant him the ring instead. Baltimore vehemently protested, but The Master paid no heed to his objections. Placing Nicholas' hand against the cave wall, an azure ring materialized on his finger, empowering him with the magic it possessed. Grateful for this unexpected turn of events, Nicholas expressed his gratitude, and together, they departed the cave, bound for home.

Outside the cave, Baltimore implored Nicholas to test the ring's powers by transporting them beyond the kingdom's borders. As darkness shrouded the land, Baltimore proposed waiting until morning to reveal their news to their father. However, in the depths of night, a sinister impulse seized Baltimore, compelling him to stand over his sleeping brother. Drawing forth a dagger, he ruthlessly stabbed Nicholas, believing him to be lifeless. Rushing back to the castle, Baltimore announced the tragic news to their father, deceitfully claiming that Nicholas fell prey to a manticore even before reaching the cave. Overwhelmed by grief, King Richard's heart gave way, and he passed away, leaving Askia with a new king-Baltimore. His first act of rule was to decree the banning of magic and all its practices, transforming the once enchanting and welcoming kingdom into a realm steeped in fear and tyranny."