Chapter Eight

The next day, the castle hall was filled with a bustling crowd, including Ciara and the others. As Ciara scanned the room, she noticed the absence of one of the competing teams. Curiosity piqued, she overheard whispers among the onlookers. Two individuals murmured about Team Lilimar, revealing that they had not returned from the temple they had ventured to. It was now down to Ciara's team and Team Borra to compete for the coveted victory, and five hundred thousand gold coins.

The crowd, consisting of both eliminated contestants and enthusiastic onlookers, buzzed with anticipation. They eagerly awaited the final round, their eyes filled with curiosity and excitement. The energy in the hall was palpable as everyone wondered what challenges lay ahead for the two remaining teams.

Baltimore rose from his majestic throne, capturing the attention of the expectant crowd. "Before I unveil the final challenge," he began, his voice resonating through the hall, "there are some matters I wish to address." Pausing for a moment, he cast his eyes across the assembled gathering.

"First and foremost, let me extend my heartfelt congratulations to the teams that have persevered thus far," he declared, his words brimming with a mixture of admiration and respect. "Now, it is time to dispel the vicious rumors that have plagued us for two decades, evolving into mere bedtime tales for innocent children."

With a flair for the dramatic, Baltimore continued, his voice carrying a tinge of sorrow and bitterness. "Yes, it is true that my father succumbed to the unbearable news of Nicholas's demise and met his own end. And yes, Nicholas did indeed meet his fate, a victim of a manticore's savage claws. I was shattered, unable to bear the weight of grief or bring his lifeless body back home."

Gathering his thoughts, Baltimore's voice grew somber as he concluded, allowing his words to sink deep into the minds of those listening. "There was no ring, no encounter with any Master of the Rings. Our perilous journey was abruptly cut short by the tragic loss of my dear brother, forcing my return to our homeland."

A pregnant pause enveloped the room as Baltimore's revelation settled upon the ears of his audience.

"I shall provide irrefutable proof to each and every one of you," Baltimore proclaimed, feigning unwavering conviction. "For the final round, I task the two remaining teams to seek out and bring forth the Master of the Rings. The victorious team, the one to accomplish this formidable task, shall be rewarded with the grand prize."

With his declaration resonating through the hall, Baltimore gracefully departed.

"The king has ordered me to present you with the map to the Cave of Rings, which you will have the duration of this hourglass to observe," Gaius informed the contestants.

He directed their attention to a small hourglass, indicating the limited time they had. The hourglass was remarkably tiny, with sand that could barely measure five seconds.

With a swift motion, Gaius unveiled a large copy of the map, which was promptly rolled back up within moments.

The glimpse of the details on the map was fleeting, leaving the contestants baffled and with a sense of urgency. It was clear that time was of the essence, and they would need to rely on their memory and quick thinking to make the most of the brief opportunity they had been given.

Outside the castle, Ciara inquired, "Did anyone manage to catch any details from the map?"

"I only noticed colorfulness of the map," Warwick replied.

"I think I caught a glimpse of a body of water, but I'm not certain if it was a sea, stream, or perhaps a lake," Arc shared.

"I didn't see anything clearly; it all happened too fast," Prudy admitted.