Chapter Two

The following morning, Mrs. Hampton called the children to the breakfast table. Ciara assisted Hunith in setting up the table, arranging plates and utensils.

"Boys, would you like to accompany me to the castle today?" Gaius asked, directing his question to the Ickies.

"Yes!" the Ickies replied unison. Ciara glanced at Dicky, her curiosity piqued.

"I told him about Emma's cousin," Micky said to Ciara. "But it's not just Emma's cousin, you know. I'm after all the ladies in Askia. Age doesn't matter. You catch my drift?" Dicky grinned, trying to impress Morgana.

Morgana smiled as she ran her hand through his hair, "You're cute, stop before I make you eat your own hair."

Suddenly, loud stomping noises echoed from the staircase, capturing everyone's attention. Gaius furrowed his brow and inquired, "What's that noise?" Ciara had a hunch about its source. It was the afac, which had now grown significantly larger. The sight of it made everyone stand up in surprise.

"Is that an afac?" Gaius questioned, astonished by the creature's presence.

"Apparently so," Mordecai replied. "I thought the king had captured every single afac alive," Morgana added, expressing her confusion.

Ciara took charge and commanded the afac, "Stompy! Bad Stompy! Shrink down now." The afac whimpered and obediently shrank to the size of Ciara's shoe. She gently picked it up. "Good boy," Ciara praised, cradling the tiny afac in her hands.

"Why do you have it with you?" Morgana asked, her curiosity getting the better of her. Ciara replied, "It was injured when I found it. Why did Baltimore capture the afacs?" she inquired, seeking answers from Gaius.

"I found it injured. I couldn't leave it behind. But why did Baltimore capture the afacs in the first place?" Ciara inquired. Gaius chimed in, "No one knows."

"Finish your breakfast," Hunith urged, serving them more soup. "I can't, the forge won't open itself," Mordecai said, rushing. "Make sure to attend the contest and show Ciara your support," Hunith reminded him. "Will do," Mordecai replied, making his way toward the door.

"Ciara, come with me, and you can bring the afac too," Gaius instructed. "We don't want it wandering around on its own." They halted in front of Gaius' room.

"Myway orkshopway," Gaius chanted and rapped on the door three times.

"Did you just cast a spell?" Ciara asked, taken aback. Gaius stepped into the room, which had transformed into his workshop. "Come in and close the door behind you," he beckoned.

Ciara entered, her eyes widening at the sight before her. Several shelves adorned the stone walls, displaying ingredients, bottles emitting wisps of smoke, a cauldron nestled in the corner, and a bookshelf filled with what she presumed were magic-related books.

"Touch nothing," Gaius warned firmly. Ciara halted her attempt to open a large, ancient-looking book on the central table in the workshop. "I thought magic and all its practices were banned in Askia, punishable by death," she voiced her surprise.

"It is. Now, no more questions." said Gaius. "How much do you know about the Tale of the Two Brothers?"

"The Nicholas and Baltimore story? My father used to tell it to me every night before bed when I was younger," Ciara replied. "People always said it was just a fictional tale, made up."

"The story is real, very real. I was there when it happened," Gaius revealed, his voice tinged with a sense of nostalgia. He took a seat and motioned for Ciara to join him, inviting her into the extraordinary secrets of Askia's past.