Chapter 3

Lagos, Nigeria.
1st January, 2023.

"Seun, please hurry up with that cooler. Go and place it in the boot of the car when you're done. Sharon, look into the upper cabinet in the kitchen, you'll find new napkins and a food basket there, bring them out and give them to Seun." I stood at the end of the stairs watching my mum bark out orders to the new house helps she employed yesterday with Benji in her arms. Both of them scurried around the house, trying to please my mum. I cleared my throat and she finally noticed me.

"Oh honey, you look so beautiful. Happy new year!" she cooed, walking over to me. I looked down at my Louis Vuitton dress and black fluffy slippers I got in a mall in Texas and muttered a 'thanks'.

"You look lovely as well, mum" I smiled at her. Her flawless chocolate skin contrasted properly with the red off the shoulder Chanel dress she wore which was made from luxurious materials and tailored to perfection. She paired the dress with black pumps. Her hair was gelled perfectly with attachments cascading in a ponytail down her back, stopping just below her waist. Her presence was poised and confident. She was exuding an air of elegance and sophistication.

Breathtaking.

"Oh you know, I always do Riri" she said with pride, smiling and flicking her hair as she did a twirl.

"Madam, efritin don ready" a maid with dyed blonde hair, said running over to us. My mum dismissed her with a nod and she curtsied before leaving. She handed my brother over to me.
(Everything is ready.)

"Take Benji to the car and tell the driver to get ready, I just want to get my bag."

"Okay"

I went out of the house and went into the car with my brother after telling our new driver, Mr Jude, to get ready while we waited for my mum. She was taking too long for just grabbing a bag.

Twenty minutes later, I spotted my mum walking out of the house. I rolled my eyes as she got into the car. She told the driver to move.

My grandmother lives on the mainland, Magodo to be precise, so it was not much of a distance from VGC where we currently reside. We arrived at her house and I instantly began to admire her house like it was my first time there.

It was a simple 3 bedroom bungalow with a white clapboard siding. It had tall windows which let in the the sunlight and a big front porch. There was a big lawn at the front, with plenty of flowers and shrubs, which gave the house life and colour.

When I got inside, I looked around the house. Nothing seemed to have changed. The purple curtains still hung around the house. The flower vase still sat delicately on the centre table and the homey lavender smell still lingered in the air.

Grandma's favorite scent.

I heard her footsteps before I saw her. Looking towards the stairs, I saw her in one of her signature bubu gowns. She descended from the stairs with a powerful aura surrounding her.

"Ekaasan ma" I greeted her in our Yoruba dialect, kneeling down like my mum taught me. She responded with a simple nod, her face in a grim expression.
(Good afternoon)

"Grandmaaa!" Benji chirped, wiggling his way out of my mummy's arms to hug her. She pat his head and I could have sworn I saw a hint of a smile.

"Ekaasan mami"
(mother/mummy)

"Come this way please" my grandma said, completely ignoring my mum. Benji skipped happily beside her, holding her hand while I held my mum's hand for some sort of comfort as we followed her to the dining table.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hey Watt-Fam!

I trust you all are good?

Please don't forget to vote and drop a comment.
I love you guys, you're chosen by God. He has amazing plans for your life.
I'll see you all in the next chapter!