Chapter 11

Lagos, Nigeria.
25th January, 2023.

"I thought being a perfect will be easier than this," Keziah said, breathing heavily as he slumped next to me in the library. Fifth and sixth periods were free for us since we weren't offering further maths and as usual we both went to the library.

"Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?" I laughed and he eyed me with a somewhat condescending look, pouting so I could know it was all jokes. Last two weeks, the principal had announced the prefects on the assembly. Only Aaron and I weren't on the team in our little friend group.

"Is it that stressful though? I wonder how it will be for Jasmine," I asked worriedly and he shook his head negatively.

"I don't think she was given any task this morning since there's no upcoming event yet. She left right after our meeting." I nodded in relief.

"What prefect are you again?" I asked and he stared at me in mock shock with his right hand placed over his heart.

"What?" I asked, laughing at his expression.

"How can you not know what post I hold? That is a big disgrace, woman." he replied in a horrible French accent, making me increase my laughter.

"Shhh!" Our librarian, Mrs Bakare shushed harshly and I bent my head in embarrassment.

"I hate you," I said to Keziah and he laughed.

"I love you too and I'm the sports prefect," he said flicking imaginary dust from his shirt.

"Yes sir," I threw him a mock salute.

The rest of the period was spent with us bickering like children and Mrs Bakare almost sending us out of the library. Finally, the bell rung signalling the end of the period and the beginning of lunch.

"I'll meet you guys at the table, let me drop my bag in class" I said and he nodded, heading to the cafeteria while I went to class.

On getting to class, I met Jacob, Jasmine's twin on my seat with his feet placed on my desk.

"Hey Minnie," he said, welcoming me with a dazzling smile and open arms. His nickname for me became Minnie, his inspiration coming from the Disney cartoon 'Mickey Mouse Clubhouse', ever since he saw my braids packed in two buns.

"Hi Goofy," I retorted, pushing his hands away and he feigned hurt.

"Where's Jasmine," I asked.

"She left to use the toilet after further maths and said we should wait here for her in class but she's been taking way too long. Knowing that girl, she already has her face stuffed with food and I have duties to attend to after lunch," he sighed.

"Let's go to then, Mr Headboy," I tipped an imaginary hat towards him and he laughed, putting his arm on my shoulder as we left the class.

On getting to the cafeteria, we saw our friends already eating and I dropped my jaw in shock when I saw Jasmine on the table too. Jacob just shook his head and we both went to get our food before joining them on the table.

"Wow Jacob, Jasmine has been in the toilet way too long, hasn't she?" I asked and Jasmine froze with a spoonful of salad in her mouth as she smiled at me innocently.

"Don't do that, you sly," I said, trying to bite back a smile.

"I'm sorry, Ari. I was really hungry" she explained and I nodded in understanding.

Soon, we all started talking and as I looked at the boys talking and Jasmine annoyingly looking for my trouble, I never felt happier to be in a friend group with people I consider my family.

I can only hope it lasts long.

...•••...•••
3rd Person Narrative.

The man sat at his desk with his expensive looking agbada, his face contorted in anger as he spoke to the boy in front of him.

The boy stood stiffly, his body rigid with fear. The man's words came out like a barrage of bullets, each one hitting the boy like a physical blow. His dark eyes were cold and hard, his brow furrowed with rage. The room was silent except for the man's voice, which seemed to echo off the walls and fill the air with menace.

"Have you found her house yet? I thought Rambo said you were reliable." he said in anger.

"I haven't found it yet sir. I'm trying to be careful sir. Please give me some time." the boy replied, quivering slightly.

"Do not disappoint boy, I own you. I can easily find a replacement and you know what I mean." He thundered and the boy nodded.

"Leave"

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hey guys!

How was this chapter? Please let me know in the comments.

Also, we've finally met Arielle's Papa. I'm so excited.

Thank you  all for choosing this book.
I love you all. You're chosen by God and He has amazing plans for your life.

See you next chapter!