Chapter 6

3rd Person Narrative.
Lagos, Nigeria.
5th January, 2023.

It was a dark and moonless night, with only the stars and the embers of the fire lighting the way. Two male figures were huddled around the fire, their features cast in shadow and mystery. As the fire crackled and sparked, they spoke in hushed tones, their words carried on the wind and lost to the darkness. A chorus of nocturnal animals added to the atmosphere, with their croaks and chirps and caws. The night air was cool and crisp.

"You see am for school yesterday ?"the elder man asked the younger boy with a tobacco joint between his dark lips.
(Did you see her in the school yesterday?)

"Yes boss" the boy replied.

"Good, your mission has started o. Make you use sense do am. Your first payment will be forwarded to you after you become her friend." he replied, taking a long swig of his cheap alcohol and stamping his joint beneath his feet.
(Do it with sense.)

"Sure thing, Oga Rambo" the boy replied, raising his left hand in a fist above his head. He smirked to himself as he began plotting ways to be close to her.

...•••...•••
Arielle's POV.
Lagos, Nigeria.
6th January, 2023.

"Thank you." I said to Mr Jude as he pulled up in front of the massive black gate and high fences that secured my school. I alighted from the car and walked into the school. I washed my hands and dried it before moving to the sanitizer dispenser. According to Jasmine, the school had taken strict safety measures against the Corona Virus ever since they resumed from the six month state of emergency the government had declared during the pandemic that shook the world.

"Ariiii!" I heard a loud screech before feeling a body collide with mine.

"Hi Jasmine" I said, smiling as she pulled away from the hug. She was looking really radiant and her baby face looked mature because she had used mascara to increase the volume of her lashes.

"Hey! Have you done the maths assignment we were given yesterday." she asked. I simply nodded.

That thing kept me awake all night.

"Perfect! I won't want to be friends with a lazy person" she said jokingly while laughing.

"Let's go to the assembly." she entwined my arm with hers and pulled me along. On our way to the assembly hall, she kept greeting people along the corridor.
She seemed to be really popular and well liked by almost everyone. We got to the hall when they had just finished reciting the school pledge and Mr Adekunle, our principal, was mounting the podium to give an announcement.

"Good morning everyone." there was a chorus of responses to his greeting.

"As you all know, with the exception of our new students of course, we usually announce new prefects for a new session in our second week of resumption..." I tuned out what he was saying, because it was not of importance to me. I felt eyes on me at that moment and I looked around to find the person. I found him in the male SS3 row. His eyes did not waver from mine and he didn't look shocked or embarrassed that he had been caught staring. I began to feel awkward. I knew I wasn't just being paranoid during lunch on Monday.

This was literally serial killer vibes.

"Have a nice day everyone!" the principal's voice boomed causing me to break the stare. We were told to start going to our classes and the juniors went first. I watched as they skipped happily to their classes. Turning to look at the creepy guy who was staring, I realized he was no longer looking at me but was talking to two guys making it seem as if I was just imagining things.

School hours flew by and I was now waiting at the reception for my driver to arrive. I brought my phone out from the hidden zip in my bag to text my mum and she told me the driver was on his way.

Thank God phones are allowed for the SS3 students.

I was checking my messages when I saw a pair of black shoes in front of me from my peripheral vision. I raised my head.

"Hey" his deep voice was oddly smooth unlike his appearance.

He had dark hair, cut into a high fade. It was short on the sides and longer on top, with a textured finish that made it look natural and effortless. His face was strong and angular, with a strong jawline and high cheekbones. His eyes were dark and intense, and his eyebrows were thick and defined. He had a subtle 5 o'clock shadow, adding to his rugged good looks but there was a softness to his face which showed he could be gentle if he wanted to. He had a lean build, but with broad shoulders and muscular arms.

"Keziah Adams." he said, extending his hand for a handshake while staring at me fixedly. I returned the gesture.

Assembly guy.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hi fam!

How did you like this chapter? Pardon my Pidgin English please. Correct me where I'm wrong so I can edit it when the book is complete.

Please let me know in the comments. Don't forget to vote and follow me if you haven't! It will help this book a lot. Thank you!

I love you all. You're chosen by God. He has amazing plans for your life.

See y'all next chapter!