Chapter 9

Lagos, Nigeria.
9th January, 2023.

I had barely had time for my brother all week because of school and I was currently in the living room, playing hide and seek with him.

"...3,2,1," I finished my countdown and opened my eyes. I could easily make out his figure from behind the curtains where he hid but I feigned ignorance.

"Hm, where's my cute little monster?" I sang in a teribbly high pitched voice.

"Is he under the table or behind the couch?" I continued my pretense as I slowly walked to the curtains, biting back a laugh as I heard him giggle. I was about to grab him when he screamed and fled past me to hide behind my mum who had just walked in.

"Mummy!," he screamed. I laughed at my mum's confused expression as she yawned. I went behind my mum and picked him up, his giggles increasing as I tickled him.

"We're going to the supermarket today Riri. We need to stock up," my mum said and I groaned.

"What do we have house helps for mum?"

"No o. I will ask for hot dog now and they'll buy me canned beef. Thank you. Please let me get ready," she said shaking her head vigorously like she was trying to get rid of sleep.

"Okay then, tell me when you're ready," I replied laughing.

"Has Benji had his bath this morning?" she asked me.

"No," Benji answered for himself as he released himself from my grip and ran to meet my mum. I went to the kitchen to eat some cereal while waiting for my mum.

An hour later, she came downstairs alone wearing tight leggings and a baggy shirt. She wore a pair of slides, showing off her neatly painted red toenails.

"Oya, let's go" she said.
(Come on)

I followed her and we entered the car and began the long drive to the supermarket. We live in a residential estate so before we can get anything we have to leave the estate which is why we had to buy a lot.

When we got to the supermarket, we took baskets at the entrance and split up. I was in the vegetable aisle trying to find some carrots when I saw a familiar figure standing next to a guy.

"Jasmine?" I said, as I walked closer.

"Arielle! What a surprise! What are you doing here?," she asked with wide eyes. Her voice alerted the guy next to her and he turned to face me.

He was wearing a simple t-shirt and jeans, but the fit and style were impeccable. He had a certain air of nonchalance about him, like he didn't try too hard, but he always looked great. His charm was effortless and he had charisma that was hard to put into words, but you could just feel it when he was around. He was comfortable in his own skin and he didn't need to try too hard to impress anyone. He was just naturally cool and collected.

"She's obviously doing what you're doing here Jas," he replied for me, pointing obviously at her basket which was filled with all sorts of candies.

Such a sweet tooth.

"Shut up moron, I knew that," she retorted.

"Ari, meet Jacob. He's my twin. Frog, meet Arielle, my bestfriend." I laughed at the word bestfriend.

"It's nice to finally meet you. Jasmine won't stop talking about you," he smiled at me and Jasmine stomped on his foot.

"Nice to meet you too," I replied.

"In my defense, you came to school just once this week so you can't know how amazing she is," Jasmine said and we both laughed. She ignored us with a wave of her hand.

"I'll see you in school on Monday, I have to find my mum," I said giving her a hug and her brother a wave. I went in search of my mum and found her at the cashier's desk. We payed for the food stuffs and walked out of the supermarket. We loaded all we got at the boot and some in the backseat and soon we were on our way.

<><><><><><>
"Arielle bend your head," my mum said as I was busily crunching the nylon of potato chips I had just finished in my hands.

"What? What do you mean?," I asked confused.

"Someone's following us," she said as she increased her speed a little, staring at the rearview mirror as she did so.

"What do you mean someone's following us?," I asked skeptically, looking behind out car. My eyes widened when I saw a pale blue Jeep following our car.

"Just lower your head! You can't be seen," I flinched as she shouted and quickly did as she said.

My mum's knuckles were white as she gripped the steering wheel, sweat beading on her forehead. I could feel the other car's headlights bearing down on us, getting closer and closer. It was like a scene out of a movie, with us as the protagonists and the other car as the villain. My mum's hands were shaking as she swerved and sped up, trying to shake the tailing car. But they were persistent, staying right on our bumper, refusing to let us get away.

Finally, my mum saw an opportunity.

"Hang on Riri" she said and I gripped my seat.

She took a sharp turn, down a side street that I knew would be too narrow for the other car to follow. As we heard the screeching of tires behind us, my mum let out a sigh of relief, knowing we had finally lost them. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

After confirming they were no longer tailing us, we left the narrow street to head home.
On arriving home, my mum jumped out of the car and ran into the house. I followed her actions.

"Mum, what just happened?!" I asked as soon as I entered the loving room where my mum was sat criss-cross apple sauce on the plush rug with her head in her hands.

"Mum?," she lifted her head to face me.

"I'm tired Riri. Please, do not disturb." she said and with that, got up from her position to leave. I was left with a lot of unanswered questions and it was very frustrating.

What in the world is going on?

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hey guys!

Writing this chapter was a little bit intense, no cap.

How did you like this chapter?

Please do not forget to vote and comment.

I love you guys. You're chosen by God and He definitely has amazing plans for your life!

See you next chapter!