36| five feet rule

36; five feet rule

Trailing five feet behind Valius, Chelsea took in her surroundings as they crossed the packgrounds. Looking at the rows of buildings that had been built a relatively close walk away from the palace, Chelsea noted that this had been the first time she had been exposed to the civilian side of the Silverblood pack.

For months now, she had been so cooped up within the tall walls of the palace that it had not crossed her how the pack members lived.

Sure, she's been to packs. Other packs. Kyle's pack, especially. Plenty of times, even.

But they have never truly made her feel at home there despite Kyle's warm hosting. At the thought of Kyle and his pack, Chelsea was suddenly reminded of his offer back when she was visiting his pack. Back when she had still been a she-rogue... before she had met him.

Her eyes fell onto his back for a moment. That darn broad back of his that narrowed down to his waist.

How would things be now if she had not run off that day?

What would have been if she had not met Valius that day?

What if she had accepted Kyle's offer to stay in a heartbeat?

What if...

"Little rogue?"

The familiar smooth voice called out, breaking Chelsea from her daze. When she returned her gaze to him and came back to reality, she found Valius looking back at her from five feet ahead. His body was slightly turned her way like he had paused to check on her.

Sometime during her daydream, Valius had noticed that Chelsea had fallen behind. Her quietness since they had set off from the palace had made him pause in his steps.

Chelsea's steps faltered as she noticed him stopping ahead. He frowned at her, but it was hardly easy to make out from her position, with the sun glaring right into her line of vision.

Chelsea squinted her eyes at Valius, wondering what he wanted from her. Her eyes followed as he raised an arm and beckoned her forward.

She hesitantly closed the distance between them. "What's the matter?"

"Do you always walk this slowly?" Valius asked her when she neared. Up close from where she stood, his eyelashes had appeared longer under the sun ray. Shaking off her distractions, Chelsea was taken aback by his question.

"Wha—no," her features crumpled into a look of disbelief with a hint of baffledness. What is this man on again? "I'm just following the five feet rule."

Valius's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What five feet rule?"

Chelsea gave him a judgemental glare.

"All subjects of the palace, excluding the royal beta and gamma, must always stand at least five feet behind the King. The five feet rule?"

Shouldn't the King himself have been schooled about this too?

"So, if you excuse me," Chelsea dismissed, turned to put the five feet between them again.

As she spun away, a strong hand caught her elbow and yanked her back. Stumbling from the force, she scrambled to find her balance and recover. Straightening, back to the same position she was standing a second ago, she shot a heated glare at Valius.

"You're staying here," Valius announced before she could open her mouth to yell at him. He had looked so confident with himself as usual, so calm and firm as he dished out that announcement that Chelsea wanted to dock his pretty face.

"And you're walking beside me," he clarified as his eyes bore into hers.

Chelsea breathed out slowly as she wondered what was going on with him. She tore her gaze from his and let them fall onto his grip around her elbow. Flapping her arm around to rid his hold, she reasoned.

"I don't know what you are on now but I don't want to be under Madam Chrisell's fire for not following the rules. The little old woman is scarier than you might think. So help me—"

Chelsea swung her arms harder but Valius's fingers only tightened around her soft skin. His fingertips were sinking dents into her flesh. Chelsea gritted her teeth, partially from annoyance and the other from the pressure.

Valius held her still by her elbow.

"Believe me, I know how scary that little old woman can get." He said in a soft tone as he pulled her closer. "But you won't be in trouble."

Confused by his words, Chelsea looked up at him as she stumbled closer due to his pull. His cheeks hollowed like he was holding back a smug look but failing. His smugness had always been visible to Chelsea through his eyes.

"The rule, you forgot a detail." His irises flashed a hint of gold in the bright daylight. He lowered further so that he could speak soft enough for only both of them to hear in the open space. "The rule applies to all excluding the royal beta, gamma, and the King's Luna."

Chelsea blinked at his words, shocked beyond words as she took a moment to gather herself. Her wolf had resurfaced for a moment to prance and howled only for her to quickly shove it back into its little sleep box.

Sleep, naive little kitten, now's not the time to be foolish and play.

She yanked her arm back, fighting him even harder this time. But his grasp on her just would not budge.

"Let me go, Valius." She almost snarled lowly.

"Don't look for a fight now, little rogue," Valius warned right back in a low voice.

Chelsea continued to fight in his hold despite his warning. This time, his demeanor had changed. Gone was the smug Valius who had seemed like he was looking to play with Chelsea's patience. In his place was replaced by the cold King that so coldly reminded Chelsea of her place time and time before.

"Don't make me repeat myself."

Recognizing the change, Chelsea dropped the fight in her wisely, letting her arm lay limply in his hold.

Whatever.

"Where are we even going?" She decided to change the topic. They'd been in the middle of walking before they had sidetracked.

Convinced that she would not move back anymore, Valius finally loosened his grip on her and turned back to face front. He straightened like he would with his tuxedo out of habit.

"You will definitely be interested in the first house we are visiting. From what I recall, you seemed particularly invested in the missing little girl, weren't you?" He said, peering her from the corner of his eyes.

Chelsea watched him as she recalled the little girl he had been talking about. The missing girl... the one that Xavier had told about?

When it seemed her memory did not fail her this time around, Valius continued.

"As a matter of fact, we have just arrived at our first destination." Chelsea's gaze followed towards the direction that Valius had nodded to and landed on a humble two-story family house ahead of them.

.   .   .
a/n:

Thank you for all the support and comments!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and stay tuned for more!