38| pure breeds

38; pure breeds

The doorknob twisted and creaked as someone pushed the door open carefully. Alerted by the unannounced party, Valius looked up as he worked to fasten the cufflinks at his wrist. Standing before his full-length mirror, Valius did not bother turning around to address the intruder.

Through the mirror, he watched as Madam Chrisell wandered into the room and curtsied in greeting.

"My King."

A corner of Valius's brow twitched at the uncalled-for visit by Madam Chrisell in his chambers. With his eyes still trained on the elderly lady, he addressed her as he finished fixing his appearance.

"Madam Chrisell, I don't believe our palace servants start work this early in the day, do they?"

In her usual grace, Madam Chrisell slowly rose from her curtsy.

"My apologies, My King. I've come with intentions to speak with you today. The chamber maids will be here to tidy up later in the hour."

Catching her eyes through the mirror, Valius raised an eyebrow at her as he continued.

"I don't suppose I need to be concerned about the headmistress of my palace staff's capability when it comes to finding her way to my office when necessary, do I?" The snarky comment rolled off his tongue easily with an intention to remind her of her place. This had been his private chambers she was stepping into so freely. Even if he had considered Madam Chrisell as a mother figure in this cold palace he had grown up in, she still needed to respect him as her King through her actions.

He had no worry for what would happen if his staff walked in on him in his chambers, but if his Luna had been with him...

There needed to be some order put in place over this matter. 

When Madam Chrisell only lowered her head in response, Valius spun around to face her finally.

"What did you wish to talk about so urgently?"

He motioned towards the lounge chair to the side for Madam Chrisell to take a seat in. With her legs in no shape to support her weight for too long on their own these days, it was best she took a seat for whatever she had come to tell him.

As she made her way towards the armchair, Valius half-sat on the feet of his bed frame, waiting for his invited guest to settle down. There had been much time left before the day should rightfully start for everyone in the palace, plenty of time for them to finish what she had come to say. 

Madam Chrisell fell into her chair with a huff, as she always did before mumbling complaints about her "damn joints" under her breath.

"I might be getting older by the day, but do you treat me as a fool around here, young man?" She sighed dramatically as she dished her words out at Valius pointedly. 

In an instance, the air in the room have shifted. Standing in the room was no longer a King and his subject, but a mother figure and the son she had watched grew up around her.

Valius cocked his head to a side as he continued to watch the elderly woman.

"Do you really not think words would spread to my ears that you are hiding your Luna in this palace?" Madam Chrisell quirked a brow at him. 

Your Luna. 

Her words echoed in the back of his head, fresh in his memory. A wave of pride swarmed into his chest. The illogical and abnormal part of him, which had been surfacing more often lately than before, wanted to shift into wolf form and howl aloud at that very moment.