39| another pawn

39; another pawn

"Fancy finding you here," a familiar whisper reached Chelsea's ear from behind as she was pulled back from her daze. Surprised by the voice, Chelsea whipped around to face the owner of that familiar voice, the end of her long ponytail hitting him near the face.

"Kyle!" Chelsea gasped, her eyes widening comically as she could hardly contain her shock. "Wh-what are you doing here?"

Alpha Kyle shot her his signature grin, that one that could send most females swooning to their knees. The glow from the shine of his teeth never failed to charm. "Your King summoned the regional Alphas to attend an urgent meeting. Said it was urgent but Alpha Thad somehow got it postponed two weeks back, so we're here today instead."

But being the palace maid, with all the preparations that were needed whenever there were Alpha guests visiting, Chelsea already knew about it. Her brows furrowed slightly, more out of habit than concern. "What are you doing here now?"

Kyle's tongue went over the front of his canine teeth before speaking again. He was practically radiating smugness and mischief, not at all the same mature and serious Alpha he was back in his own pack whenever Chelsea would use to visit. "I came early hoping I could catch some time with you before the official meeting. You know you are my favorite person in the world!"

In this light, he had looked sick to Chelsea. What had gotten him to appear so childlike suddenly? Chelsea physically shuddered reacting to his words.

"Are you okay?" She asked, reaching up to touch his forehead with the back of her hand but he quickly swatted her away. The humor in his eyes glowed clearer than the day when she focused into his eyes again. She sighed at his jovial state.

"Okay, out with it. What did you come here to tease me for this time?"

Kyle's eyebrows shot up. Mock innocence washed over his features. The glowing light in his pupils had almost appeared trusting. "Tease you? I've got better things to do, Chelsea."

Chelsea narrowed her eyes at Kyle as she studied him, unconvinced by his words. When she spoke again, her voice carried a light humor in them for their little inside joke. "Yeah, right."

After knowing Kyle for as long as Chelsea had now, there was no hiding from her what his intentions were around her. Kyle had always been a genuine guy, he was a great leader who had been loved by his pack members for his charisma. He had a light glow in him that seemed to make him approachable despite his heavy title as Alpha of the Scarlet Tails pack. For Alpha Kyle to make the trip down earlier than he needed to, he must have wanted to speak to her about something important.

Chuckling softly under his breath, he only shook his head at her while wearing an easy smile across his face. His eyes skirted over the pile of curtain drapes in Chelsea's arms and it was then that he had seemed to notice what she had been in the middle of doing before he had interrupted. His lips pouted as his eyes zeroed onto the pile.

"This is what your mate has been putting you up to?" Kyle nodded in that direction, his eyes still on the pile in her arms. "Doing odd jobs as his palace maid?"

Chelsea glanced down at her arms for a moment before looking back at him. He had been frowning now.

While it had initially taken a toll on Chelsea's high and mighty pride to be put into this role, she had admittedly been exposed to more than she could have ever imagined over the few months. There had been plenty that have been overlooked by the higher-ups in this palace, the way of things for the servants at the bottom of the system, but nobody had been brave enough to bring it up to anyone with authority. Speaking to other servants that she had befriended over the months, she had unknowingly developed a sort of motherly instinct. She wanted to help them. And when they spoke with wonder and anticipation for the arrival of their Luna, her wolf circled the barricade of her mind, eager to take control. But Chelsea was not their Luna.