40| playing with fire

40; playing with fire

When Valius could finally stop staring daggers at Alpha Kyle's back, his eyes instinctively led his sight to Chelsea, who was already staring back at him. Her eyes had been wide with shock, as if she had not expected him to find them in such a compromising state.

Despite maintaining his face of indifference to the scene before him, his insides were going through a rollercoaster ride of emotions as he fought to remain calm. Only moments ago, he had been making his way down the hall to the meeting room. And in the midst of doing so, he had caught a whiff of the familiar scent that never failed to cause a skip of a beat in his heart. As he made his way down the path following the scent, he heard conversations coming from one of the vacant guest rooms. At first, he had shaken his head at the thought of his servants chattering so loudly during duty hours, even making a mental note to bring this up with Madam Chrisell especially after she had irritated him with her meddling in his matters. 

How could she be so free to worry about his matters when she doesn't even have her staff in check?

As he grew closer to the room, the voices started becoming clearer and awfully familiar to his ears, too. He scrunched his brows as he tilted his head to the side as a silent question. Turning into the room, the sight before him had stopped him in his tracks. A tall man was slightly bent over as he leaned into the shorter figure in front of him. He had his back towards Valius, so he had not noticed the King walking in. But Valius could see the face of the shorter figure from over the man's shoulder. 

What was this strange man doing standing so close to his mate?

The unidentified man had tugged a piece of Chelsea's hair out of her face and behind her ears. While that gesture might not have been much to think of at first, it had almost sent Valius and his wolf bursting through the door when his hand lingered on her face.

He could feel his wolf awakening from under the covers of his human subconscious as it shook at its fur, getting ready for his fight stance. His wolf wanted to bear his canines and take control. He wanted blood on this carpet, his skin, and on hers. 

What was the unmated male doing with his mate? his Luna?

This uncomfortably intimate moment that the two were sharing had Valius clenching his jaw in an attempt to remain calm. His hands reached over to the side and somehow made a loud knock against the wood of the door. Valius didn't know how, and he did not care how he had done it. He was suddenly operating in autopilot mode as his glare would not seem to move from its found target.

What was it about his mate that was constantly attracting these unmated males to her?

His confusion turned into aggression and frustration, sending him into a spiral of primal possessiveness mixed with protectiveness. As if his mark on her was not enough, he wanted everyone to know that she was his mate. He needed everyone to know... He needed something more than his mark on her.

Chelsea must have been startled by the noise he had made by the door as she was already looking at him when he could finally tear his threatening eyes away from her companion. Chelsea's lips had parted and formed a little 'o' shape as recognition reflected through her eyes.

Sensing the sudden stiffness in Chelsea's body language, the male stood back and dropped his arm. Valius narrowed his eyes at the male's hand. A low snarl fueled by childish intentions threatened to surface at the top of his throat. When the male finally stepped aside enough to face him, Valius recognized this unmated male. 

Alpha Kyle.

He grimaced as he recalled the same male he had seen Chelsea with the night of the ball.