xviii. WHAT A RIDE

HELIOPHILIA
what a ride,

Annabeth was waiting for them, pulling them off the sidewalks as she stared directly at Tyson.

"Percy, where did you find him?" She demanded, pointing at Tyson.

Under different circumstances and outcomes, Percy was actually really happy to see them, especially Aether. He'd miss Aether more than anything in his life at the moment-but right now, this circumstance was brutal. He'd been attacked by cannibal giants, Tyson saved his life three times-or was it four? Doesn't matter, and all Annabeth could do was stare and glare at him.

"Annabeth, he's my friend." Percy told her.

"Is he homeless?"

"What does that have to do with anything? He can hear you, you know. Why don't you ask him?" Percy argued back, raising a brow as she asked that. Aether tilted his head, confusingly staring at Percy and Tyson. "...wait-he can talk, Percy?" Aether asked softly, hands on his shoulder strap.

"I talk," Tyson admitted, grinning brightly at Aether. Practically beaming now. "You are very pretty," Tyson said to Aether, fascinated by the boy. Aether gave him a light smile, thanking him quietly as Annabeth shook her head, groaning.

Percy seemed bewildered that Tyson's hands weren't burnt after the cannonballs but Annabeth spoke up, "Of course not. I'm truly surprised the laistrygonians even had the guts to attack you with him around."

Tyson seemed magnetized by Aether's ashy blond hair and tried touching it but Annabeth quickly smacked his hand away. "What are you talking about? Laistry-what?"

"Laistrygonians. Those monsters from the gym that were attacking you," Aether began. "They're a kind of race of giant cannibals who live in the far north. I'm pretty sure Odysseus ran into them once, but we've never seen them as far as New York before." Percy stood awkwardly, tilting his head. "Laistry-okay, I can't even say it... what would you call them in English, though?" Annabeth pondered, hand under his chin as she sighed. "Canadians," she finally decided. "Yeah, Canadians. Now come on, we've gotta get out of here, fast!"

"What-the police will literally be after me!"

"That's not the problem right now, Percy," Aether said. "Have you recently been having a lot of dreams these past few days?"

"You mean... the dreams of Grover?"

Aether's face turned pale, staring at him in shock. "Grover? What about Grover? Have you-"

Percy proceeded to tell Aether the dreams he's been having about Grover. "Why? What dreams were you having?" Aether shook his head frantically, muttering something underneath his breath. "It's not me. It's Annabeth-she's having dreams about camp. Big trouble at camp. I've been seeing some things happening at camp as well, I think it's something with Thalia's tree..."

Percy took a breath, "My mom was saying the same thing! But exactly what kind of trouble is happening?"

"We don't know exactly what is happening. Something's just wrong... monsters have been chasing Annabeth all the way from Virginia before she came to camp. Have you been having a lot of attacks?"

Percy shook his head, "None all year, well-until this year."

"None? But how..." Annabeth joined in before her eyes drifted over to Tyson. "Oh."