xxxii. THAT ISNT REALLY NICE - WHATEVER IT'S A MONSTER

❝ HELIOPHILIA ❞
that isn't really nice — whatever it's a monster

Before the quest, Will had made sure that Aether had everything packed. It was an eight hour drive away from New York to Bar Harbor, Maine. Snow was piled everywhere and Aether hadn't been able to see his friends in a long time and between everything, Aether had been too nervous and awkward to talk at the exact moment in the car. Thalia wiped the fog away from the window steel as she smirked, saying, "Oh, yeah. This'll be fun." Aether peered through her window and Westover hall seemed to look like an evil kingdom with a cruel ruler.

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" Percy's mother asked as Aether rolled his white sleeves up. "No, thanks, Mom," the boy quickly turned down the request. "I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay."

"But how will you get back? I'm worried, Percy." Aether saw the way Percy flushed, chuckling quietly but not mentioning it. "Oh, no-it's alright Ms. Jackson." Aether smiled reassuringly, placing a hand on top of Percy's shoulder. "We promise Percy won't cause as much trouble." Her tense shoulders relaxed as she smiled gratefully at Aether, lightly ruffling his blond hair. "All right, dears. Do you have everything you need?"

Ms. Jackson made sure everybody had the right stuff and Percy looked like he just wanted to be out of the car already-as if embarrassed by his baby memories and alongside some secret photos and with Aether calling him cute in every single one!

Aether followed Percy outside along with Annabeth and Thalia. Aether shivered slightly from the cold but warmth surged through his body as he puffed out a huff with mist vapor. The car was out of sight as Aether smiled, "Your mom is so amazing, Perce." Percy gave Aether back a smile. "Yeah, she is. . . What about you? Have you ever gotten in touch with your mom?"

An awkward silence filled the air between the two as Aether stared at Percy in stunned silence, mouth opening before stammering close as Thalia and Annabeth stiffened and froze. . . "Seriously? Percy, did you have to ask that?" Thalia harshly whispered, glaring at the boy as she walked dangerously towards him as Aether approached between the two. "No, no-it's fine!"

"Yeah, we'd better get inside. Grover will be waiting for us." Annabeth nodded as Thalia agreed. They all stared at Westover Halls, examining it.

The Oakes doors groaned as they opened and they stepped inside the academy. Aether admired the place, eyes darting hastily everywhere. Annabeth started to say, "I wonder where-" the door slammed shut as they jumped a bit. "Oo-kay," Percy mumbled fiddly. "Guess we'll be staying for quite a while."

"You hear that music?" Aether mumbled over to Percy. The black hair boy listened closely and nodded a few seconds later. They stashed their bags over by a pillar and started down the hall. They hadn't even reached that far before footsteps were echoing a few feet away from them and then a woman and man appeared in their sight. They both had equally short gray hair along with black military clothing style uniforms with red trims. "Well?" The old woman stepped over to them as she carefully inspected at four. "What are you doing here?"

"Um. . ." Aether quickly realized that nobody had thought of a single plan because nobody knew what would happen. "Ma'am, we're just-" Percy couldn't finish his sentence as the old man snapped a finger. "Ha! Visitors are not allowed at the dance! You shall be eee-jected!"

Aether could hear the slightest accent in his tone-French? Well, he didn't really know nor did he want to bother figuring it out on this old geezer. Aether took a step back as Thalia stepped forward in front of him protectively and snapped her fingers. Aether winced the slightest bit as a rush of a loud, shape sensational sound went through his ears. "Oh, but we're not visitors, sir," Thalia said, rather calming. "We go to school here. You remember: I'm Thalia. And this is Aether, Annabeth, and Percy. We're in the eighth grade."