Chapter 2 - Smiles

If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.
-Alfred Lord Tennyson
_____________________________________________

....I hope you have found everything you needed to continue on your study. It should be a success with the help Benedict and Colin is giving you. Im excited for your discoveries when you return.
A letter from Elizabeth to her older brother Daniel while he was on a trip in Nova Scotia with Benedict and Colin Bridgerton.

The ball was held in the grandest room in the Palace. There were flowers hanging from the ceiling and many candelabras.

    I walked in with my arm wrapped around Ashton's. In the distance I saw Eloise at her mothers side, she looked very uncomfortable making small talk with an eligible bachelor. She met my eyes and mouthed help me. I smiled and nodded. I tried to unlock myself from my brothers grip but he insisted, "You will have your first dance." I rolled my eyes.

Daniel stood on the other side of me. "Just wait sister." He walked away. I looked at him quizzically. He tapped on a man's shoulder. From behind I could tell it was one of his best friends, Martin. I suppose I wouldn't mind dancing with him. He walked back over beside. "Miss Elizabeth, might I have this dance?" He held out his hand, I slipped mine into his. I looked back over to Eloise, I couldn't keep myself from looking at her. Im sorry I mouthed. She looked miserable.

After Martin and I began he said, "Sorry for such formality Liz, but your salty brother was standing there. Thought he might kill me where I stood if I said to much." I laughed, "Oh no, he would make sure to have a shiny gun on him first."

I looked at Ashton. He was smiling and laughing with Joy. He was a different person around her. Happier. He looked more like a husband and older brother than a Viscount.

The dance music ended onto the second dance. Before Martin walked away I grabbed his arm, "One more dance Martin, I don't want to dance with some old bachelor." He laughed and grabbed my waist again. Martin had been in love with me since last season, almost proposed, but Ashton wouldn't allow it because he was Daniels best friend.

After the second dance I walked over to the table of drinks and foods. I was dying of thirst. I took a quick sip and noticed Eloise coming over. I sat it down quickly, almost embarrassed. "Hello." I awkwardly said. She laughed, "You seem uptight Elizabeth." I let out a breath, "Well Ive just danced twice and Martin Wright is quite the gentleman." I meant it in no way to marry him but she looked beat.

"How about we take a walk outside? Its stuffy in here and perhaps you need fresh air." That I needed. I accepted her offer. I gazed back at Ashton who didn't see me out. Daniel did though but he gave me a thumbs up. Too much to drink already.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

The air was cool on my skin. We walked over to the gardens. The water perfectly streamed out from the fountain, not to loud, but soft.

Eloise patted the spot next to her on the bench.
"So Elizabeth...anyone catch your eye this evening?" I chuckled lightly, "Please call me Lizzy. And not the slightest, it seems this season is dryer than the desert." We both laughed. "Have you danced with anyone this evening?" I asked her. She held up her arm with the dance card hanging from it, "Oh yes." I took her wrist and looked at the card, "Sir Joel, Zachery Morgan, Louis Williams, these are fake names!" She smirked, "Well no one has to know that." I laughed and leaned back into my seat.

    "You did good on your presentation this morning." She told me, I looked at her, "Oh, I didn't see you when I came out."

     "I didn't see you either, my sister Francesca told me and I believe her." She turned her head over and smiled at me. I smiled back at her. Her smile could have lit the most darkest room. We stared at each other. I fell into her eyes and felt warmth creep into me. My heart quickened. I had only met her this morning but it feels I have known her my entire life. The eye contact quickly broke with Ashtons loud voice.

  "Elizabeth!" I sat up so quick my head spun. Eloise grabbed my arm before I toppled over. "You okay?" She said quietly. I quickly nodded. Ashton walked over.

    "Forgive me for my rudeness Miss...?" He waited.
"Eloise Bridgerton." He nodded and looked back to me, "You have requests Elizabeth." I took his arm and looked back at Eloise. She got up and joined with one of her brothers. I believe I heard her say Benedict.

   "I see you enjoy Miss Bridgertons company." Ashton spoke softly. I nodded. "Perhaps we invite them over to dinner tomorrow evening? The whole family. Bring light back into our house." Ashton looked at me. I stopped and spun him to look at me.

     "You are not the brother I saw a few hours ago." He took a breath, "Lizzy, Im sorry for how I have been. I spoke with Joy earlier and I have realized I need to be more of a brother to you. I care more than you will ever know about you. Your my sister and I will always protect you, as I will with Samantha. You can tell me anything." I felt tears forming in my eyes. He looked down.

   "Thank you Ashton." He nodded tightly. "Now I think I shall have my final dance with my brother." Daniel came up behind him and I grabbed his arm. Ashton released a sigh. "Good to know." He muttered. I knew there was a smile there too.

    Daniel led me back to the ballroom. We danced together and his almost spun me to hard to knock someone else over. I spotted Eloise talking to Benedict. My mother and brother walked over, I assume to ask them to come to dinner. Daniel caught my eye, "Tomorrow night will be fun, will it not?" I nodded and smiled, "Indeed it will Danny."

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    In bed, I laid awake thinking about her.

I had only met Eloise, she couldn't possibly really want me to be my friend? But the Bridgerton's weren't mean people. Surely I had heard of there scandals from Whistledown last season, and of hers. But that didn't mean anything. At least to me it certainly didn't.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

authors note: hopefully youve made it this far. and hopefully your enjoying. i promise it gets better and again please forgive me for my horrid writing, its my first real fanfic ive wrote and published and i want to make improvements. thank you x

Things We Have in Common जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें