Chapter 4 - To Sir Phillip, With Hate

Better terrible truths than kind lies.
-Leigh Bardugo
_____________________________________________

.....I am so sorry for your loss Ashton. She was such a wonderful women and soul. Joy will be dearly missed. I hope you come home soon. We need you back.
A letter from Elizabeth to her eldest brother Ashton, after the death of his wife.

     My lunch with Eloise was everything I needed. Our conversation mainly laid around books and women's rights. We had the same opinions. More things in common, she told me.

     "I hope I am here the day women are allowed to vote. I would give anything to see it." I nodded in agreement and brought the tea cup to my lips. Eloise noticed someone behind me and sat up almost spilling her tea, "Eloise whats-"

    A man came around me. He was a few years our elder. "Sir Phillip. Its nice to see you. I am so sorry for your lost." He took off his hat, "Miss Eloise, thank you. I hope I didn't interrupt your conversation." I stood up, "Not at all sir. I am too sorry for your loss." He nodded in thank you, "I will see you." And walked away.

    "That is Sir Phillip Crane, I have received news this morning his wife has passed." Eloise informed me.
     "That is terrible. I hope he is okay." I told her, she nodded, "I hope so too." She seemed different around him.

    We finished our tea and went home. I was happy I had gotten to see her again. I felt a pang of jealousy towards Sir Phillip. I have no idea why. She didn't act romantic towards him. Still, even if he did I shouldn't feel that way.

    I started down the hallway when Daniel and Martin walked out of the library, "Hello Martin." I said to him. Mama was in the kitchen putting fresh flowers up.

     "Hello Dear." She came around and kissed my cheeks. "How was your lunch with Eloise?" I sat down, "It was quite nice." She nodded and picked up more flowers, "There is a ball next week at Lady Danbury's. We have been invited." I sighed sarcastically, "Ah another chance to dance with a stranger." She came behind me to view the table from a different angle, "Perhaps someone will catch your eye." Martin walked in at that moment. "I don't know who will catch your eye, but this table certainly does Lady Johnston." I rolled my eyes, mama stood beside Martin, "Good to know dear."

     Ashton rolled out from his study. Before he went any further mama stopped him, "Ashton, notice anything new?" He looked at the table, "Im sorry mother, no." He looked back at her, she sarcastically threw up her arms, "My children don't care a wit about my decoration skills." Samantha ran out, "I do! I do!"

    She threw herself against Martin. He picked her up. "Hello Miss Samantha." Before Ashton walked out, he said quietly to Martin, "Don't woo both my sisters." Martin gave him a nasty look.

    Joy walked in the front door, "There is my husband." They kissed. "I will be back darling, I must make a small trip to see Anthony Bridgerton." I followed him, "Can I come?" He pulled on his coat, "I think you shouldn't. Eloise won't be there." I looked at him, "Why- How did you-" He pulled on his top hat, "Goodbye sister."

     Joy took a breath behind me, "That man is everywhere." I put my foot on the first step of the steps "Tell me about it."

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

     That evening I went to the modiste with mama for a new dress for the upcoming ball. I had spoken to Lady Danbury last season. She is quite nice and host the most extravagant balls.

    I stood on the stool as Madame Delacroix wrapped a tape measure around my waist. My mother talked out in the lobby to other women who needed dresses. I looked around and gazed out the front window, a man and women rushed by. I only saw the back of the women's hair and it was red and quite curly. Penelope couldn't be back yet could she?